Tire Pressure for Winter driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think is the best tire pressure when you're going to do highway driving in a snowstorm?

...I'm not talking about offroad driving on unpaved snow roads. I'm just wondering how best to increase the chances of the LR3 gripping the road when we hit a slippery snow patch while traveling. This also assumes I don't care about gas mileage or tire wear in these conditions AND I'm using stock tires. (Synchrones, actually)

Just curious. I always keep the tire pressure at the recommended level, but didn't know if dropping 5-10 PSI would help or hurt me in winter driving conditions. I have found the traction control to be excellent in past winters (take it out on slippery parking lot and try to get it to fish tail!) That little exercise helped convince me that this heavy vehicle can do a lot to keep me on the road if **** hits the fan on a snowy highway.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I like this topic. No answers from me. I get the concept that sand driving uses lower pressures, what about deep snow off-roading and how does that translate to on-road use?

I always understood winter traction to be governed more by the tread composition and design, hence dedicated winter tires that stay pliable and grip cold ice and snow. Winter tires don't require deviant air pressures from normal, which itself is a blend for economy, performance and comfort.

On the other hand, we're discussing general purpose treads used all year in all conditions and whether air pressure levels might enhance their effectiveness under a specific set of conditions.

Here's one insight - dropping 5-10 might leave air pressure so low that it creates a danger. Underinflated tires run hotter (look it up, recall the Explorer/Firestone recall where underinflated tires blew out leading to greater use of tire pressure monitors), and on a heavy vehicle this could be more critical. Lower pressure might negatively affect overall handling in emergency maneuvers if the tire can't perform to the same levels as if inflated properly - track use or maximum loads always run higher pressures. Thus, you might take on more risk under all other conditions versus when hitting that patch of snow - assuming lower pressure even helped with that.

Tire engineers speak up!

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my tires avon st 255-55-18 are rated max 50psi i run 50 psi in the summer but in the winter i run 45psi if i go off road in deep snow I droped down to around 30psi and ran fine in thigh deep snow, soft sand i was at 18psi and that was about right so for the snow I will run 20psi

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my $.02. Deflating your tires increases the contact area, and lowers the weight per square inch (of contact area) of your vehicle, which is good in sand but bad in snow or at least hard packed snow and ice. Narrower tires are better than wider ones because they have more lbs/inch of surface area. What's the ideal psi? Probably the factory recommendation. I'd guess that over inflating probably would do more harm than good, but not sure.
Interesting question...

I would also guess that with the pressures lower, you'd have a much scarier time crossing the snow/slush pile that builds up between lanes.

Last edited:

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my tires avon st 255-55-18 are rated max 50psi i run 50 psi in the summer but in the winter i run 45psi if i go off road in deep snow I droped down to around 30psi and ran fine in thigh deep snow, soft sand i was at 18psi and that was about right so for the snow I will run 20psi

I would not drive on roads at speed at only 20 psi.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my $.02. Deflating your tires increases the contact area, and lowers the weight per square inch (of contact area) of your vehicle, which is good in sand but bad in snow or at least hard packed snow and ice. Narrower tires are better than wider ones because they have more lbs/inch of surface area....

Great point. Higher weight per sq. inch should mean less chance of sliding.

This reminded me of a trip years ago sliding all over the road in my friends CJ7 and it didn't make sense to us at the time because he had it in 4WD. (I'm talking years ago...we were in college). We came to find out that his tire pressure was low from both an earlier off road trip and the cold outdoor temperature. He pumped the tires back up and the Jeep behaved great.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always go with snow tires or severe service rated all terrain if you dont like to switch them out. Sorry I know thats not what you are after - just a suggestion

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about everything about the CJ made it crappy in the snow. Big tires/light weight/short wheelbase....I'll never forget spinning down the highway in traffic at 40-50 mph completely helpless. Somehow managed to not get hit. Looking at it that way, LR has really taken a lot of excitement out of my life (sigh)
BTW, all time most unstoppable vehicle in snow was the RR county LWB. P215 tires rock!

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only run the 20 psi on the trail in deep snow. I air up before I hit the road again.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my $.02. Deflating your tires increases the contact area, and lowers the weight per square inch (of contact area) of your vehicle, which is good in sand but bad in snow or at least hard packed snow and ice. Narrower tires are better than wider ones because they have more lbs/inch of surface area. What's the ideal psi? Probably the factory recommendation. I'd guess that over inflating probably would do more harm than good, but not sure.
Interesting question...

I would also guess that with the pressures lower, you'd have a much scarier time crossing the snow/slush pile that builds up between lanes.

Bingo - my thoughts exactly.

-Rich

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut