Go Back   Land Rover and Range Rover Forums > Technical Discussions > LR3

Sponsored Ads
Register or log in to remove these ads.

LR3 technical discussions for the LR3

Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
kwlr3
Full Access Member

Cracked Dash

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I have an '05 HSE purchased new in November of 2005. I have used a windshield sun shade from day one but, it happened anyways. I have about six cracks, each about one inch long radiating outward from the the de-mister vents on each end of the dash. The first one appeared about a month ago and I seem to get a new one each week.

I stopped the propagation by filling in with super glue but it looks like crap. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there any repair. I'm out of warranty by 12,000 miles so I guess I'm out of luck.

I think the D1's had major problems with dash cracks and were repaired under warranty. Is there sun in England? Mud, rocks, and river crossings won't hurt a Land Rover but, leave it out in the sun and the dash cracks, the wipers blades melt to the glass, and all the exterior plastic evaporates. I've owned Jeep wranglers that went years with no top. The seats fell apart but the dash never cracked.
kwlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
USAFbuckeye
Full Access Member

Sorry KW, I've not had that problem, however, I have seen dashs for sale on ebay. Just do a search for LR3 and look through all the auctions. You might get lucky.

I feel your pain, it's tough to spend so much money on a vehicle that looks like crap after 5 years regardless how much "protectant" one uses on the plastic.
1965 Mustang Coupe (warmed-over 289)
(SOLD) **LOVED THIS RIG** 2005 LR3 SE7,285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Full OE Brush Bar; Expedition Roof Rack, GN Vehicle Protection Ladder, rear lamp guard, Johnson Rods lift, Q Industries On-board compressor (in extra battery box), LR driving lights (work independently)
2001 Range Rover (Sold)
USAFbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
kwlr3
Full Access Member

My vehicle is at the dealer right now getting the dash replaced. The "fill in" service advisor told me that they have already replaced five dashes on '05 LR3's and have "many more" on order. The problem has only been seen on LR3's in South Florida and Texas and only on 05's. The cracks start at the side vents and radiate forward and inward. Soon after the first hairline crack appears, they spread like a plague. Mine got so bad that the pieces between the cracks have begun to fall off. Inspect your dash thoroughly, at first the cracks are hard to see. My '05 was purchased in November or 2005 and the first crack appeared in February of 2009.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
GMT
Landy Man

Just had dash replaced under warranty for splitting around the passenger side airbag.
GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
kwlr3
Full Access Member

GMT, what year LR3? Purchased new or used? Where do you live, in intense sun? After having mine replaced, I want to know if I should anticipate needing to do it again.

I see the the LR4 has a leather covered dash. Is a leather dash cheaper for LR than replacing cracked plastic under warranty?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
GMT
Landy Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwlr3 View Post
GMT, what year LR3? Purchased new or used? Where do you live, in intense sun? After having mine replaced, I want to know if I should anticipate needing to do it again.

I see the the LR4 has a leather covered dash. Is a leather dash cheaper for LR than replacing cracked plastic under warranty?
Hi KW,

It's an '06 purchased used. I'm in south Florida, so the sun/heat is a factor for sure.

Not sure about your other question.

Cheers!
GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
davidfkon
Full Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwlr3 View Post

Does anyone know if the leather LR4 dash fit the LR3?
davidfkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
nashvegas
Full Access Member

You know what -- I think it just might fit an LR3. I sat in an LR4 at our dealer in Nashville last week after reading this thread and specifically was checking it out. Seems like the instrument binnacle is slightly differently shaped BUT the rest looks the same. Anyone who works at a rover dealer had the top dash off an lr4 yet?
nashvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
techboydino
Full Access Member

Best way to beat the sun on that is a good protectant and a custom sun cover. I love mine and it fits like a champ. Visors flipped down hold it in place and it really keeps the interior cool.

Covercraft part #UV10928 $45
Get the $8 bag too
Linky
Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
roverman
Full Access Member

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Those sun shades seem like a pain in the
Fortunately, those of us in Michigan don't have any, what do you folks call it, "sunshine"? So our dashes last forever!
roverman is offline   Reply With Quote