Go Back   Land Rover and Range Rover Forums > Technical Discussions > LR3

Sponsored Ads
Register or log in to remove these ads.

LR3 technical discussions for the LR3

Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
05LR3
Roverito

Key Replacement for 05 LR3 SE

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Does anyone have a recommendation for replacing a key with remote? I called the dealer and they said they have to come from England where they are laser cut and they are over $300.00. They said there is no one in the US that can laser cut Land Rover keys.

Please help.

Thank you.

05LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
toddjb122
Full Access Member

Ouch! This is why it is inexcusable that the LR3 doesn't come with a valet key.

There really needs to be an option to carrying around (or passing off) a $300 key.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I just share your concern. Let us know what you find. There is an old thread on here titled "how top break into your LR3" or something like that where people discussed getting a sand mold made of your key. This would allow you to make your own valet key I guess...
toddjb122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
CoMclovin
Full Access Member

http://http://www.landroverworld.org/forums//showthread.php?t=14390
CoMclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
05LR3
Roverito

This is insane!!! Not only does the replacement key have to be laser cut in England, it also must be programmed by the dealer. They quoted me 1 hour of labor for an additional $130.00. I'll be out $430 + and 100 miles round trip to the dealer and that's just to order the key. You need to order in person with proof of vehicle ownership. Then it takes over 4 weeks just to get the key from England and then I need to take half the day to drive back to the dealership to have it programmed. I've called every lock smith in the state of AZ and searched the internet. I did find a place that sells an uncut blank for $119.00 but there is nowhere in the US that can cut it and there’s no guarantee it can be programmed even if it could be cut. If I loose or damage my remaining key before I get a new one I'll have to have the vehicle towed to the dealer and I’ll be without transportation for over a month. LR3 owners beware!!! Don't loose or damage your keys!!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
umbertob
Full Access Member

As mentioned in the other thread, the key remote can be ordered (pre-cut at the factory) through cheaper channels than the authorized stealer. See http://roverconnection.com/LR3/Land_...ey_Remote.html

You will still need to pay labor to program it, but $200 for the hardware is better than $300, and turnaround time is likely to be the same (3 weeks or so.)

PS: If you have an independent LR shop closer to you than the dealer, ask them if they can program a key. IMO, as long as they have IDS and you provide them a properly cut and unprogrammed key they should be able to do so, and perhaps charge a lot less labor than the dealer. $130/hr... You must be from around here (Southern Cal)

Last edited by umbertob; 04-23-2009 at 03:41 PM.
umbertob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
05LR3
Roverito

Is this ligitmate? My local dealer (North Scottsdale AZ), and Land Rover North American is telling me that the only way to have a key replaced that works is through the dealer and laser cut in England.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
umbertob
Full Access Member

The cutting overseas part is true (that's why they need to send your VIN there, along with verifying proof of ownership), but evidently the dealer is not the only outfit able to order them from the UK. Roverconnection is a legit business, I have purchased stuff from them in the past. Never ordered a key, though.
umbertob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
davez26
Full Access Member

Per bulletin and experience, LR3 keys are supposed to take 3-4 business days, and they have been pretty good lately. Also, LRNA now has the equipment stateside, in New Jersey I believe.
As for the rest, yes they are expensive, and someone with compatible equipment must program them.
davez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Auburn92
Landy Man

In San Diego has a good independent LR shop I'm very pleased with.
Auburn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
zbysiu23
Full Access Member

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Just did mine last month and hag to wait for the key to arrive from GB..
zbysiu23 is offline   Reply With Quote