Pendulum Weights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

KTMLC8

What is the official word on what those 2 pendulum weights behind the rear bumper function as ? I was crawling around under the truck yesterday and saw those things. They swing freely front to back and are located on each side. I read someone elses post somewhere that they thought they were some type of vibration dampening setup but I wonder if they have something to do with the DSC or hill descent function.

K

KTMLC8

Just to follow up. Land Rover tech confirmed that the weights are for vibration cancellation for ride quality.

F

Freeflytim

Told 'ya!! :biggrin:

-TIM
Tennessee USA

:driver:

KTMLC8 said:
Just to follow up. Land Rover tech confirmed that the weights are for vibration cancellation for ride quality.

S

simonharper

I was told by my dealer (here in the UK)... and this is apparently what they were told by LR...

...they are in fact connected to flaps that are blown open when the doors are shut ! Apparently the car is so air tight that shutting the doors without these would be very difficult.

When the doors are shut the flaps are forced open by the air and then held shut again by the weights.

Seems to me that this could make sense but then again seems to be overkill engineering wise and very heavy.

If anyone can confirm this rather 'strange but true' explanation I'd be rather pleased as it does seem kinda strange.

I await the laughs emanating across the pond ;-)

-s

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding me.

Maybe they flap open when you start to spin in the vehicle, a la NASCAR vehicles over here? :biggrin:

S

simonharper

Hey... twas was what I was told. But I also don't see how they can be vibration dampers... how would this work ?

And my Dicso3 if definitely a lady ;-) she is the best thing I can get inside without my wife getting jealous ;-)

-s

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Freeflytim

:laugh:
A little early for "April Fools!" ... you guys do that on the east side of the pond, right??
:laugh:
-TIM
Tennessee USA

simonharper said:
I was told by my dealer (here in the UK)... and this is apparently what they were told by LR...

...they are in fact connected to flaps that are blown open when the doors are shut ! Apparently the car is so air tight that shutting the doors without these would be very difficult.

I await the laughs emanating across the pond ;-)

-s

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mass dampeners illegal in Grand Prix racing.

The link below provides a bit of background with regards to the mass dampeners located at the rear of our 3's and 4's.

It sounds like if were to race our trucks in the European Grande Prix's, we would have to remove them as they provide some sort of unfair advantage related to pitch attitude.

It is not clear to me why the dampeners represent an unfair advantage, however there are arguments to say that without them in our vehicles, riders are more prone to car sickness.

What I am certain of is that Land Rover is not installing the two movable dampeners just to increase the weight and production cost of our vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_mass_damper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72