anyone running 285/55/19?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ed1655

Reaction score
i know that they will fit, at least i'm pretty sure based on the searches i've done. i know for sure that 285/60/18 fits... and these are the same overall size but i'm not sure if the 285/55s will fit on these oem 8 inch wide rims. i know y'all are sick of tire threads but i haven't seen this one yet. :confused:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the same tread width fits on OEM 18 inch wheels, they should fit on 19 inch OEM's I would think. They're the same width. I haven't seen that size before though.
I use this: http://1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
It says they will fit on a range of 8-10 inch wide rims.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Ed-

What tire are you thinking about running in that size? I would be interested in running something slightly larger than the stock 255/55/19 as well. But there doesnt seem to be to many options out there.

ed1655

Reaction score
If the same tread width fits on OEM 18 inch wheels, they should fit on 19 inch OEM's I would think. They're the same width. I haven't seen that size before though.
I use this: http://1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
It says they will fit on a range of 8-10 inch wide rims.

thanks for the calculator! the difference between running 285/60s and 285/55's on 8 inch rims is that, since the sidewall is smaller there is less room for the tire to spread out to it's max width from the rim to the road. this is why i was concerned. according to the calculator though it looks like i should be ok.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 275/55/19's and there are two problems that I think you will encounter with 285/55/19. First, a full size spare will not fit under the vehicle. In order to fit the 275/55/19, it needs to be deflated to about 15 pounds and even then needs some wiggling and kicking to fit. Second problem is that you will just about turn the LR 3 six speed auto into a five speed as it will rarely shift into top gear with the loss of gearing. You will never see 6th gear if you switch to sport mode or pull a trailer.

I think the tire will fit the rim and the wheel wells but consider the other issues before you commit.

ed1655

Reaction score
I run 275/55/19's and there are two problems that I think you will encounter with 285/55/19. First, a full size spare will not fit under the vehicle. In order to fit the 275/55/19, it needs to be deflated to about 15 pounds and even then needs some wiggling and kicking to fit. Second problem is that you will just about turn the LR 3 six speed auto into a five speed as it will rarely shift into top gear with the loss of gearing. You will never see 6th gear if you switch to sport mode or pull a trailer.

I think the tire will fit the rim and the wheel wells but consider the other issues before you commit.

thanks! i'll be carrying the oem spare so that won't be an issue but i'll consider the gearing issue. i'm not quite sure how that works though? how do wheels affect gearing? sorry if it's a stupid question....

Trynian

Reaction score
thanks! i'll be carrying the oem spare so that won't be an issue but i'll consider the gearing issue. i'm not quite sure how that works though? how do wheels affect gearing? sorry if it's a stupid question....

Larger diameter tires cover more ground at the same RPM then the smaller stock tire so there is more torque on the engine. Kind of like when you shift a 10 speed bike to the larger sprocket on the pedals.

I am running tires that are 31.5" diameter which I think are a tiny bit larger then the 285/55/19's and I don't see much of an issue with gear shifting. It does shift slower into 6th but it is barely noticable to me.

Most of us that offroad have similar size tires with no complanits on shifting that I have heard.

Last edited:

ed1655

Reaction score
Larger diameter tires cover more ground at the same RPM then the smaller stock tire so there is more torque on the engine. Kind of like when you shift a 10 speed bike to the larger sprocket on the pedals.

I am running tires that are 31.5" diameter which I think are a tiny bit larger then the 285/55/19's and I don't see much of an issue with gear shifting. It does shift slower into 6th but it is barely noticable to me.

Most of us that offroad have similar size tires with no complanits on shifting that I have heard.

thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ed...one more thing that has been an on-doing debate with no "science experiment" to back it up: if you carry the OEM spare and get a flat, you may be f*cked if you have to use it. Having one tire smaller than the other 3 may cause the LR3 to have a TC/DSC hissy-fit!

I always meant to test it out, but never did. Wound up buying a 5th 275/65R18 tire and put it on an X5 rim for a spare! Got 'em both for $100!!! I have an HSE but run the 18s when offroad with MT/Rs mounted. ...so I just throw the aforementioned used BFG long-trail tire on an X5 rim in the back when I go! No need to fit it underneath for one day.

...but long story short no one knows what will happen with 3 31.5" (or bigger) tires and one 30" (OEM sized) tire.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut