hard to turn at times? power steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HokiePJ

Reaction score
Just bought a 95 discovery 1 2 weeks ago but have loved land rovers for years. My discovery is hard to turn at more then 45 degrees. Wondering if all discoveries are hard to turn at angles like that or is it something to deal with my power steering?

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forum. Now down to business, how hard is hard to you? I have always been told that our rovers are power assisted steering not true power steering. Both of my Discos make you use a little arm when turning, but not enough to make me think anything is wrong. My wife hates it because she drives a mini van you can steer with your little finger.

HokiePJ

Reaction score
Sometimes its not too hard but others its like turning a boulder when I'm turning into a parking spot

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure you have but I will ask anyways, have you checked the power steering fluid level? What does the fluid look like? Does your pump make any funny sounds? remember our discos are nearly 2.5 tons loaded with power assist you still do some work and the slower the rover is moving the more work you do.

HokiePJ

Reaction score
Yeah I've checked it it was leaking so I tighten a screw n had to but a new clamp on and filled it up with fluid but yeah it does makes kinda of a grinding noise when I have it fully turn and I do understand that they are extra heavy I was just wondering if I needed to be looking for something to fix or just get use to using some extra muscle whenever I turn

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have alot of extra play in the steering wheel? what fluid did you use to fill up? there shouldn't be any grinding at full turn you should just hear the pump working to hard.

HokiePJ

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any extra play in it. I'll pay more attention to it in the morning. I just used some p/s fluid at my gf's house but I read somewhere I was suppose to use atf. Do you think that's gonna be a problem or do I need to drain it out? Maybe the grinding is just the pump working hard

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The disco 1 uses atf fluid in the power steering, but atf and power steering fluid is very very close in oil properties. You don't need to drain it. Listen to the pump again and see if it sounds like metel to metel grinding or just the roaring of the pump ( you shouldn't turn the wheel to full turn for more than about 3 or 4 seconds)

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that you back up a few steps and start with a complete p/s flush to get rid of the wrong fluid and add new ATF, only, along with a bottle of Lucas power steering additive that can clean out the internal valving and seals of the pump and gear box to help free up your steering.
You will need 4 quarts of ATF, 1 bottle of Lucas p/s Stop leak, and a small hand pump to suck out the fluid.
If you want directions on this, send me your number and I'll call you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV