Go Back   Land Rover and Range Rover Forums > Technical Discussions > LR3

Sponsored Ads
Register or log in to remove these ads.

LR3 technical discussions for the LR3

Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
dillonman
Roverito

LR3 Subwoofer

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hey this is my first post and I was thinking about putting a new subwoofer into my LR3 and I'm the kind of guy who likes everything cosmetically looking the same after I'm finished with the job. I've been looking around for subwoofers that would be a good candidate for fitting into the tailgate and my resaerch concludes that the Shallow Mount Pioneer subs would be a nice fit but the problem is I don't know how to take apart the tailgate and I don't know what size the stock subwoofer is. As in inches. So that's what I'm asking you. Also what are some other good candidates for fitting? Pictures are appriciated
dillonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
StevenJ_AK
Full Access Member

After doing tons and tons of research and also taking apart the tailgate I learned that the tailgate was really not an option for two reasons.
1.) the sheet metal is thin on it. Causing flexing of the back, outside, of the tailgate. This will cause a lot of rattling and poor sound.
2.) running the amp wires will be moderatly difficult in the stock location without ruining the rubber grommets and boots.

So here's what I did. I picked up one of JL audio's Ported power wedge 8w3v3
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_e...=8&prod_id=474

This box fits PERFECTLY next to the third row seats. Very small but very powerful. I have pics and it's mounted nicely. The carpet matches and it looks like it should be there. I am using a JL audio XD200/1 amp and a line converter. I also installed a subwoofer control knob on the center counsel behind the parking brake lever.

Doing it this way is a great way to add some serious punch. With it wired this way my factory sub still works so when the kiddos are in the car my stereo sounds the same as before. But when I'm by myself or anything I can make it pound. A lot of people have mistaken it for something way larger! I have some pics and I'll post later when I get home and I figure that out but I'll just say when this thing is hitting hard, don't plan on using your rear view mirror! With the knob you can really dial in the bass just right for rock, country, or pop. Hope this helps.

Last edited by StevenJ_AK; 04-21-2011 at 12:49 PM.
StevenJ_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
StevenJ_AK
Full Access Member

http://www.********.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50274

Another link to see what's inside that tailgate and a guy mounting a pioneer shallow mount.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
dillonman
Roverito

Thanks for the links. How much do one of those go for?
dillonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
StevenJ_AK
Full Access Member

THe sub goes for 249.00 at the majority of quality car audio shops, the amp 299.00. Wiring kit was about 60 bucks and the knob all together was 40 and the line converter was 18 bucks. You dont "have" to use that amp any amp that can push 200 x 1 at 4 ohms will work but they key too almost all car audio is Quality over quantity. Theres a lot of companies out there that over cheaper stuff but it wont sound anywhere as good. Here are some pictures of my set up.

IMG_1000000129 by StevenJ_AK, on Flickr
IMG_1000000130 by StevenJ_AK, on Flickr
IMG_1000000131 by StevenJ_AK, on Flickr
IMG_1000000128 by StevenJ_AK, on Flickr
Old 04-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
voltaire1102
Full Access Member

Good job, that looks awesome.!
voltaire1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
rchase
Landy Man

I did a JL Audi TW5 with a JL Audio 500/1. The shop tore out the right side compartment in the rear and built in a fiberglass box then carpeted the box to match. You can barley even tell there is an after market subwoofer. Furthermore I have never been more impressed with a sound system, if I could recommend anything it would be this. It is almost like the speaker and amp were made for the car. I have been called by the stereo shop to bring my car down and let JL Audio Reps listen to it because they were blown away how it turned out. It can be loud if you like loud but personally I just wanted to add a little bit. They wired it into the stock head unit Subwoofer Level control so you can crank it or leave it low, how ever you want it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
rchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
StevenJ_AK
Full Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase View Post
I did a JL Audi TW5 with a JL Audio 500/1. The shop tore out the right side compartment in the rear and built in a fiberglass box then carpeted the box to match. You can barley even tell there is an after market subwoofer. Furthermore I have never been more impressed with a sound system, if I could recommend anything it would be this. It is almost like the speaker and amp were made for the car. I have been called by the stereo shop to bring my car down and let JL Audio Reps listen to it because they were blown away how it turned out. It can be loud if you like loud but personally I just wanted to add a little bit. They wired it into the stock head unit Subwoofer Level control so you can crank it or leave it low, how ever you want it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

That would be the ultimate set-up and thats what i was originally going for when i went into the stereo shop! I bet that sounds amazing!

Unfortunately the shop i went to wanted $599 for the TW5 and 599 for the slash v2 500/1. the whole setup with the box built in would of been $1800 and I just wasnt willing to drop that kind of cash but yet that is the ULTIMATE thin sub set up. I had the chance to hear one and they are amazing!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
EIGHTLUG
Full Access Member

Interesting that JL doesn't offer a factory fit "Stealth Box" for the LR3. I'll probably go the route of rchase and have a custom enclosure fabricated for a 10W6V2.
'72 Series III 88 2.25 Petrol
EIGHTLUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
jesus_man
Full Access Member

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
So the factory sub is in the tailgate? Always wondered where it was. I have the harmon Kardon system and am very happy with it.

J.D.