LR3 Fuel Gauge - I wish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I hopped in the LR3 and noticed my fuel gauge seemed to be going to opposite direction, up rather than down. It had previously been at 1/2 or 1/3 of a tank, but it was now showing 3/4. This morning I hop in and it is all the way at the top. Now I know I have driven 240 miles on this tank because i reset my trip distance every time I fill up. So unless i have a neighbor thats siphoning gas into my car at night, something weird is going on. Has anyone ever seen this? and is there a way to reset that gauge?

i opened the gas cap and there was no pressure release or anything weird.

sidenote: do you know if you can you reset the mpg tracker on the display as well?

Thanks in advance

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is weird. Were you on a hill when it read full?

Yes, you can reset the mpg tracker by resetting the miles for that trip odometer. You have two, one under the speedometer and one in the center. Reset the miles on the one in the center by holding down the button on the end of the blinker arm and I am almost certain it resets the MPG tracker. You do have to be on a certain screen for it to reset. The one on the right side does not.

J.D.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah ive been driving all over time still full. weirdness.

as far as the mpg stat tracker, that was easy, thought i had tried that, but thanks that reset it.

hopefully i can figure out whats going on with the fuel gauge

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel sensor or sending unit, take it back and get it fixed or off to yer local LR Dealer. I'm not sure if it is front or rear, or the part number. Let us know when you find out.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that one (or both - the fuel tank has got two of them, one on the front and one on the back) of your fuel level magnetic sensors attached to the fuel tank is defective and sending the wrong resistance information to the instrument cluster. Or perhaps (more unlikely) one of the actual floats inside the tank is jammed or broke off... Either way, sounds like a PITA to troubleshoot and repair. This is off my 06 RRS shop manual, but considering it's the same engine I imagine the LR3 fuel tank and senders system would be virtually the same: http://rangerovers.net/forum/download/file.php?id=3605 - I'm no expert but it sounds to me like the fuel tank may need to be dropped regardless.

toxxic

Reaction score
I have similar problem

I had a couple of problems with my LR3. First of all the alarm was going off randomly and it kept saying bonnet open and I managed to solve this problem quite easily by changin the front bonnet latch sensor.

The left door windscreen plastic pannel kept on coming off so i glued that on.

Now the problem is with the fuel guage. Its not showing the correct readings. It says the car would go further 400 kilometers and fuel gauge shows full when its almost empty. I don't know what the problem is and how to fix it. Problem is Landrover here charges $125 an hour for labour. They said they will charge me 2 hours work just to diagnose the problem then however much for parts plus labour. So I wanted to know if anyone else ever had this problem and what did they have to change in order to get it working properly again.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a couple of problems with my LR3. First of all the alarm was going off randomly and it kept saying bonnet open and I managed to solve this problem quite easily by changin the front bonnet latch sensor.

The left door windscreen plastic pannel kept on coming off so i glued that on.

Now the problem is with the fuel guage. Its not showing the correct readings. It says the car would go further 400 kilometers and fuel gauge shows full when its almost empty. I don't know what the problem is and how to fix it. Problem is Landrover here charges $125 an hour for labour. They said they will charge me 2 hours work just to diagnose the problem then however much for parts plus labour. So I wanted to know if anyone else ever had this problem and what did they have to change in order to get it working properly again.

Look underneath at the gas tank. It sits on the passenger side under the seats. If the bottom of the skid plate is pushed up and looks dented it is likely that the fuel level senders have been damaged and need to be replaced. Good luck!!

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I asked my dealer about it the tech said that there are two sensors that contriubute to the reading, one on each side of the tank. To help it out, they said to not let the tank go less than 1/3 full. something about the two sides on the tank getting significantly different readings messes things up? I thought that was kinda strange

Anyways, mine does not seem to have this issue anymore, fixed itself i guess. I think disconnecting the battery might of helped because it reset all the electronic bits?

hope that helps...

toxxic

Reaction score
cool i'll try that. hope it works or else im looking at over $500 repair including labor.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I asked my dealer about it the tech said that there are two sensors that contriubute to the reading, one on each side of the tank. To help it out, they said to not let the tank go less than 1/3 full. something about the two sides on the tank getting significantly different readings messes things up? I thought that was kinda strange

Anyways, mine does not seem to have this issue anymore, fixed itself i guess. I think disconnecting the battery might of helped because it reset all the electronic bits?

hope that helps...

Not letting it go less then a 1/3 is an unaccecptable fix to me!! I rountinely drive down to 10 miles or less left on the range computer and never have a problem with my 05! Disconnecting the battery has no effect on faults stored in the computers. It does however "reboot" them and can solve communication bus problems, however the codes will still be stored for the fault... I'd start with a quick look at the bottom of the tank since it is so easy to see....If it is bashed in you can pretty much assume you will be replacing the sensors (Which I think is really a tank replacement)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut