Transmission fault, HDC, lowered suspension height -- resolved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently our 08 LR3 HSE, 3 months out of warranty threw up a damn christmas tree display of warnings, lowered the suspension to the stops and was pretty much not driveable as a result.

Various readings on the Internet said, switch out the battery for a new one. So I stuck the battery on a charger, it seemed okay but I forked over the 150 bucks for a new one at the local auto parts store anyway.

No resolution, the issue continued. The next thing I read was to replace the brake switch (sometimes referred to as the stop light switch or sensor). 24 bucks from the local LR dealer, 2 minutes to swap it, disconnect the ground to clear the codes and viola, no more issue.

Should this issue occur for anyone else I would highly suggest you pull the brake switch, take it apart and look for evidence of electrical arcing -- black stuff around the contacts. If evidence of this is found, replacing it is cheap and easy with a newer unit from FOMOCO oddly made in Morocco.

Why you ask would a simple brake switch failure result in such a catastrophic overall failure of the car? No idea. British electrics and all I suppose.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only imagine the amount of people over the years who didn't do their research and paid thousands for new airbags and compressors.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the break switch located?

Just to the left of the center under the steering wheel. You can get at it by removing the lower panel on the drivers side (just pops out) and there is an access hole that allows access to the switch. Removal is managed by rotating it 1/4 turn to the right and pulling it out. Insertion is the reverse.

The part is 14 or so bucks online, a bit more at the dealer.

W01331892910OES.JPG

If you disassemble the old unit you will probably find black stuff near the contact points. The theory is that the switch itself is not able to handle the current load of the numerous lights out back and is arcing, which is what causes the black build up.

Dog Lover

Reaction score
Recently our 08 LR3 HSE, 3 months out of warranty threw up a damn christmas tree display of warnings, lowered the suspension to the stops and was pretty much not driveable as a result.

Various readings on the Internet said, switch out the battery for a new one. So I stuck the battery on a charger, it seemed okay but I forked over the 150 bucks for a new one at the local auto parts store anyway.

No resolution, the issue continued. The next thing I read was to replace the brake switch (sometimes referred to as the stop light switch or sensor). 24 bucks from the local LR dealer, 2 minutes to swap it, disconnect the ground to clear the codes and viola, no more issue.

Should this issue occur for anyone else I would highly suggest you pull the brake switch, take it apart and look for evidence of electrical arcing -- black stuff around the contacts. If evidence of this is found, replacing it is cheap and easy with a newer unit from FOMOCO oddly made in Morocco.

Why you ask would a simple brake switch failure result in such a catastrophic overall failure of the car? No idea. British electrics and all I suppose.

Was hoping you might be able to help me with my similar problem which just occurred a few minutes ago to my 06 LR3? Out of nowhere I just got all the same symptoms (warning lights) and the suspension lowered as you described.

After I shut off the car and re-started a couple of times, most of the symptoms and warning lights go away and the suspension can be raised.

However, as soon as I put my foot on the brake after restarting, all the warning and fault lights come on and the suspension again goes into the access position and the brake light, DSC and tramsmission fault lights come on again.

Does this seem like the same symptoms you had? Also I noticed that when I put my foot on the brake, that the rear brake lights do not come on. Just wondering if these sound like the symptoms of the brake switch failure.

Thanks in advance for any help that you could provide!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the brake light switch as well. Here is a link showing the switch. It comes out with about a quarter turn, to install reverse the process. The switch is located behind the kick plate underneath the steering column. There are several photos here with various points of view.

Can't post a picture, without creating smaller ones. Can't post to gallery on another site for some reason.

Last edited:

Dog Lover

Reaction score
Thank You.

Brake light switch ordered and it is certainly worth a try. Fingers crossed as this would be a belated Christmas gift for me if I can get up and running again with such an inexpensive part.

I will move onto the battery next if this does not work.

Sadly, I cannot replace the brake light bulbs without a lot of trouble and extra expense, as I also have the imfamous seized tail gate issue with the cable having become detached at the attuator. Have been living with this as an inconveniece but it appears that the only way to replace the rear brake lights is to drop the tail gate.:eek:

Will let everyone know the final result good or bad as a reference should this occur to others.

Thanks again for your help!

Dog Lover

Reaction score
Thank You.

Brake light switch ordered and it is certainly worth a try. Fingers crossed as this would be a belated Christmas gift for me if I can get up and running again with such an inexpensive part.

I will move onto the battery next if this does not work.

Sadly, I cannot replace the brake light bulbs without a lot of trouble and extra expense, as I also have the imfamous seized tail gate issue with the cable having become detached at the attuator. Have been living with this as an inconveniece but it appears that the only way to replace the rear brake lights is to drop the tail gate.:eek:

Will let everyone know the final result good or bad as a reference should this occur to others.

Thanks again for your help!

Just wanted to update my repair situation for the archives. Yes, I found black residue on the brake light switch and my battery needed replacement. New brake switch and battery installed and all is well!

Very relieved and thank you to those who posted up on this issue. Very helpful to know where to start when you have potentially many thousands of dollars in failure lights come up suddenly on your dashboard! Thanks!

jp2time

Reaction score
Just had the same issue!

I appreciate this forum so much. I just ran into this exact same issue with the Transmission fault, HDC and Lowered suspension. I replaced the brake light switch and all my problems went away. These sure are some crazy vehicles but I love my Rover!:stupid:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blame the Hill Decent systems.

Other than British Electrics, the best answer I have come up with results from following the conductors off the brake light switch S215 in the Stop Light Lamp circuit pdf per the link below.

The normally closed contact feeds to the ABS module D277. A wire coming off that feeds back to hill decent relay R222. That in turn talks to the transmission and engine computers; at that point, anything is possible. The reason normal vehicles do not suffer from this condition is none have hill decent control abilities.

These sort of problems can be triggered by defective brake/tail light bulbs as well; hence the recommendation to stick with genuine LR bulbs. They cost about the same as off shore stuff but have better quality control, or at least may there may be some quality control in the manufacturing process.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082

Replace the *** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the spaces.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV