01 Disco won't start (but turns over)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

georgememory

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I will try my best to be articulate and to-the-point, but please forgive me if I am not. I am not an engine-guy at all, but I know barely enough to do some research on my own to save money.

Here is some background info:

-bought 2001 Discovery July 2011
-purchased for $3,750
-I have put 4,000 miles on it
-175,000 total miles
-driven perfectly fine for 10 weeks

A few weeks ago I was pulling into Fox&Hound resturant, and the engine sounded like it was stalling (engine or transmision or something) as the RPM's was fluctuating... this was as I was pulling into parking lot, then with 3 feet to go, engine shut off (as if it completely stalled out). I then ate dinner, and 2 hours later started it successfully, drove it 2 miles home, and pulled it into my driveway.

I have since not been able to start the engine. When I turn the ignition, it does sound like it is turning over... it is not clinking like it would if it were a dead battery (i beleive).

From people I have talked to, and other forums and threads I have read, it sounds like it could be one of the following:
-faulty spark plug
-something with fuel line
-or crank shaft sensor

I have made a 3 minute video showing the engine and also giving example of what it sounds like when I turn the ignition. I will try to post a link so hopefully it will work for you guys....

http://youtu.be/xZGyqiPoXtc

Land Rover Discovery II , need help! won't start - YouTube

Any insights or suggestions would be much appreciated!

My goal is to get it running again (as least expensive as possible) so I can sell it for $2k-3k.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The history reminds me of a blocked fuel filter that finally blocks completely, Your time in the restaurant allowed a little fuel a chance to get past the blockage and enough to get you home. The video suggests no fuel is getting to the engine, fuel filter and fuel pump. In the morning have someone else turn the key to 'On" position but don't crank it while you listen over the tank in the cargo area. You should hear the pump run briefly as it pumps up some pressure in the line to the front. If you don't hear the pump run when the key is turned on... report back. Next locate the fuel filter and verify it's not crudded up and blocking fuel flow. THEN you can start looking at other things. A scan guage of some sort would shure help you if your skills are weak. Think about getting one. Cheaper than the tow!

Last edited:

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed you have a DII so it probably doesn't have one unless someone added it. There's a small screened sort of a filter on the pump itself too hard to do now so inspect the line from the back to the front and see if it got damaged (kinked, crushed or bent) and if someone added a fuel filter, a lot of guys added them. Finally you are going to check to see if there's fuel being deliverd to the front at the so called rail.. inspection first.

Report you codes from the scanner and download the RAVE manual also. Cheaper than a tow.

If you have codes then the really really smart guys can jump in and help you in a second, better than I can :)

Last edited:

georgememory

Reaction score
Great thanks! I will buy one of the basic guages off amazon and report back with more info, also I will check fuel filter to see if they've added one. Thanks so much!

buzzy

Reaction score
I had a leak in the steering box, almost 2 bottles in 3 days, got the steering box, my 02 discovery started once after that, changed the crank shaft module, still no start, my machanic could not get it started , now i have it at the land rover dealer, 3 days, no start, any help

I had a leak in the stearing
Hey folks!

I will try my best to be articulate and to-the-point, but please forgive me if I am not. I am not an engine-guy at all, but I know barely enough to do some research on my own to save money.

Here is some background info:

-bought 2001 Discovery July 2011
-purchased for $3,750
-I have put 4,000 miles on it
-175,000 total miles
-driven perfectly fine for 10 weeks

A few weeks ago I was pulling into Fox&Hound resturant, and the engine sounded like it was stalling (engine or transmision or something) as the RPM's was fluctuating... this was as I was pulling into parking lot, then with 3 feet to go, engine shut off (as if it completely stalled out). I then ate dinner, and 2 hours later started it successfully, drove it 2 miles home, and pulled it into my driveway.

I have since not been able to start the engine. When I turn the ignition, it does sound like it is turning over... it is not clinking like it would if it were a dead battery (i beleive).

From people I have talked to, and other forums and threads I have read, it sounds like it could be one of the following:
-faulty spark plug
-something with fuel line
-or crank shaft sensor

I have made a 3 minute video showing the engine and also giving example of what it sounds like when I turn the ignition. I will try to post a link so hopefully it will work for you guys....

http://youtu.be/xZGyqiPoXtc

Land Rover Discovery II , need help! won't start - YouTube

Any insights or suggestions would be much appreciated!

My goal is to get it running again (as least expensive as possible) so I can sell it for $2k-3k.

georgememory

Reaction score
Which scanguage?

So I have looked up some scangauges, and I am not sure what kind or how nice it needs ot be in order for it to give me these particular error numbers to supply this forum with.

The biggest result is the Scangauge II.... but not sure if that will work. Do you know of any particular ones? Thanks!

I noticed you have a DII so it probably doesn't have one unless someone added it. There's a small screened sort of a filter on the pump itself too hard to do now so inspect the line from the back to the front and see if it got damaged (kinked, crushed or bent) and if someone added a fuel filter, a lot of guys added them. Finally you are going to check to see if there's fuel being deliverd to the front at the so called rail.. inspection first.

Report you codes from the scanner and download the RAVE manual also. Cheaper than a tow.

If you have codes then the really really smart guys can jump in and help you in a second, better than I can :)

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: your engine's no-start

any scan tool that can handle OBII and cans should work for you; however, if you could beg, borrow, or steal (just kidding on this last point) a Bearmach Hawkeye with the appropriate dongle/connector (latest version is 5.00) it will not only tell you the code(s) but also give you a rundown on what that code(s) means via the library in the tool. Hawkeye also permits resets as well.

My first inclination would be to agree with the previous member who mentioned that this sounds a lot like complete fuel starvation. However - it could also be a dead CPS (crank position sensor) but I really would look first to fuel issues.

BTW - the latest Innova scan tool, 3100 F, can be had for a song from some online sites and it is totally compliant with your engine's computer systems, moreover they now permit you to have access to their online library for codes. If you are not going to keep this vehicle and want to move onto to something else the 3100 F would be a real treasure to add to your 'must-have' bare necessities. If you are going to stay with Rover spend a little more and get yourself a Hawkeye (5 visits to the 'stealership' for a simple code read would cost you about the same - maybe even more).

So I have looked up some scangauges, and I am not sure what kind or how nice it needs ot be in order for it to give me these particular error numbers to supply this forum with.

The biggest result is the Scangauge II.... but not sure if that will work. Do you know of any particular ones? Thanks!

georgememory

Reaction score

So I just got the scan guage results:

all start with "p" and numbers are 0327, 0300, 0308, 0307, 0303, 0335, 1668

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi