'11 LR4 vs UHaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cruiser

Reaction score
So I'm towing a small (2017) 4x8 uhaul trailer from upstate NY to KCMO with my '11 LR4 HSE with factory tow package, the uhaul guy hooked me up, checked the lights (I didn't at the time) and sent me off. Somewhere around Illinois I find out I have no trailer lights except a steady bright right light when the 4 way or right turn signal is on, nothing else. From searching here it looks like an LED incompatibility/known problem? Any quick fix for the next 400 miles?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED trailers work just fine, but they won't pull enough current to trip your trailer icon on your dash... but they work just fine.

I'd suspect the trailer (wiring or lights)... do you know that the trailer wiring on your LR4 is correct? have you used it before?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't really help you much, but welcome to KC.

If you are the off-roading type, the local LR dealer is having its off-road even this Saturday.

Mudda

Reaction score
Hi, Cruiser - I have a 2010 LR4 in New Zealand, running a boat trailer with presumably some corrosion in trailer lighting circuits produced the same interesting lighting failures as you describe, when fuses (behind glove compartment blew). Cleaning up and remaking connections solved the problem, but it will happen again, so I carry a lt of spare fuses. So, my guess would be the U-Haul trailer wiring in poor condition. All my trailers have LED lighting, which causes no problems, but I put ballast on the boat trailer indicator circuits, anyway.

Of some interest, although wiring likely to be different in a US vehicle, I would certainly check out your trailer socket wiring versus US standard trailer plugs; LRs here have UK wiring glued into the rear plugs and the LR dealer who sold me the vehicle didn't know this was not NZ standard! So my electric braked trailers locked wheels immediately connection made because UK reverses pins 5 and 2, resulting in a permanent live feed to the service brakes. This was easily identified and sorted out by a local car auto-sparkey, who reversed the 2 and 5 wiring on the trailer plugs adaptor from round to our standard flat plugs (and for <10% of what the LR dealership wanted to "sort out the problem" that they ascribed to my trailers.)

Attachments

• 113.TYPICAL TRAILER WIRING DIAGRAM_0.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member