15’ LR4 Roof Racks and equipment.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the limiting factors are, but when I did a ton of research prior to purchasing, I found that the prospeed was the least limiting rack outside of a custom voyager. It's very low profile, which people think is a limitation...but there are over 60 bosses that you can use for tie down points, to create a retaining bracket around the rack....well...to pretty much do whatever you want as long as you are creative and have access to a hardware store... you can really accessorize the **** out of it without purchasing the prospeed specific accessories. I found that these 60+ bosses were pretty important to me (this is where others are different) as I use this rack for serious off roading/camping only 8 times a year. So...I wanted something that when it was time to go, I could easily add the accessories needed then easily remove them when I returned. This way I could go back to a quiet drive and clean look when I got back(it's a quiet rack.) As far as the actual prospeed accessories...amazing, very well engineered. I have the tire carrier for mine as well as the floor plates. All are easily put on and removed. And they store very well.

So anyhoo...just thought I'd throw my thoughts in there as I spent a bunch of time doing research before I bought one.

iSurf - this helps a lot and confirms my own thoughts about the Prospeed rack. My long term goal is to build my LR4 to something that is "easily convertible" into a serious off road/overland vehicle. That's why I like the idea of a hidden winch mount up front and hitch mounted rear tire carrier out back, as opposed to steel bumpers. I do not like the idea of permanently modifying the looks and handling characteristics of the vehicle. That's why I bought 18" LR3 wheels and am keeping the 20" LR4 wheels, etc. I know some people won't agree with my setup, but everyone has their own tastes and needs.

The low profile and quietness of the Prospeed really appeals to me when I am not using if for camping and off roading. If you wouldn't mind, could you possibly share some pics of the different ways you've utilized the bosses to attach accessories? I'm always looking for some creative inspiration. Thanks!

Jazzy

Reaction score
As with most things off road, it really depends on what and how you're going to use it. I didn't mean to infer that the Prospeed wasn't a good option, because it absolutely is. I agree with iSurfvilano in that the Prospeed rack is very low profile and a very capable rack...and still think it is one of the best looking racks out there. However, for my situation, which is someone who likes to camp, overland, and hit the trails at least two weekends a month, often with longer week-long trips interspersed, and as a father of 4 kids and a wife, I needed something that had more side rail and wanted the entire rack setup to be extremely durable without a lot of moving parts and/or require different configurations (ie. Prospeed floors/base plates which were sold separately, jerrycan&tire mounts, tie-down hooks...everything was sold separately when I was looking). I was looking for a more permanent solution...if you camp/overland a lot in which you move campsites, you can probably relate to everyone complaining about having to tear down just to move and setup elsewhere...I was simply projecting the same concerns to roof racks during my search.

Like iSurfvilano said, with camping only 8 times a year it would have been more than doable for me. However, with the Gobi, if you have a decent amount of gear, need to transport stuff, etc, it is extremely convenient for me to simply throw gear, tough boxes, jerry cans, etc up there, strap it down quickly and go.

I try not to make this a habit, but I've definitely put more weight up there than either the rack or the LR4 authorizes, and no issues...say this to somewhat demonstrate it's build quality. Three weeks ago the family and I took an 7-day trip to the Mojave Desert in which I transported four tough boxes on the roof rack, two jerry cans and three of my tires I was selling on top of the tough boxes and the Gobi handled it like a champ...so once again, it really depends what you plan to do now and in the future...can't go wrong with most options, just user preference. Hope this clarifies previous comments.

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jazzy - once again thanks for your insight. I didn't think you were knocking the Prospeed at all, and I understood that based on your original comments, it just didn't work for your setup/needs. There is no "one size fits all" for anything, let alone these vehicles which are used for wildly different purposes.

The Prospeed seems to be a perfect fit for how I want to use it, but I wanted to make sure that your concerns were not something that applied to my uses. So thanks for sharing your knowledge!

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I like the idea of a hidden winch mount up front and hitch mounted rear tire carrier out back, as opposed to steel bumpers.

I think we are very much alike when it comes to rig goals. I looked at the hidden winch option as well, especially the Voyager setup. I was able tosee it in person on an LR4 at last october's overland expo....such a clean setup. But...I also realize that my TredPros and/or kinetic strap will get me out of most situations....and the situations they can't....well, I would assume that i'd be in a position where that hidden winch is buried with the bumper. Still kicking around that mod for the time being, but putting money into some under body protection (I cracked my trans pan on a rock that was below the waterline on a blind drop on a trail...lesson learned)

could you possibly share some pics of the different ways you've utilized the bosses to attach accessories? I'm always looking for some creative inspiration.

I have pics throughout the forum, but below is one from when I first fitted the rack and the tire carrier. I also have some on my instagram (@NorthBeachBrian) --- But, I will be loading her up to go to the mountains for memorial day weekend, and will be glad to share the photos of it all loaded up once I get to that point.

20171229_081426.jpg

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian thanks for the uploads - you have a very nice setup! Honest question about the ladder - do you find it useful or not really?

Also, it looks like you used a mix of attachment methods. I'm assuming that your spare wheel carrier is Prospeed but you came up with your own for the shovel? I just can't see how the shovel is attached to the bosses. Thanks!

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian thanks for the uploads - you have a very nice setup! Honest question about the ladder - do you find it useful or not really?

Also, it looks like you used a mix of attachment methods. I'm assuming that your spare wheel carrier is Prospeed but you came up with your own for the shovel? I just can't see how the shovel is attached to the bosses. Thanks!

I load a majority of everything by stepping on the rear tire... The only time I use the ladder is when all the standing plates are on and I want to go stand up there.... So doesn't get used all that often.

Prospeed tire carrier, eye bolts securing the treds into the rack, the shovel wasn't secured in the top photo but I use u-bolts for that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick