17" Wheels - How I got them on my LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mack is that last hill climb at Tahuya or is it Hog's Back? Nice pic.

Bump Stops with 32s is no beuno; but I'm less afraid of it as I used to be, after last time. IIDTool to get back up, pluck fuses, limp home.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mack is that last hill climb at Tahuya or is it Hog's Back? Nice pic.

Bump Stops with 32s is no beuno; but I'm less afraid of it as I used to be, after last time. IIDTool to get back up, pluck fuses, limp home.

Hog's Back, compliments to your Wife for the pic :)

Yeah I am less worried about 32's than in the past - but there are still a number of issues that could catch you out, what if we didn't catch that the upper a-arm was cutting through your airbag a couple month's back? Loose a bag/line and it will be a fun day trying to get you fixed :biggrin:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree on the ruptured bag...but that issue seems independent of tire size. Granted, being on bump stops would be a problem exacerbated by the larger tires, but I think 31.5" tires on bump stops might be nearly as bad.

Only thing I can say is after having been through that ordeal a few months back, I think I know that sound now (of control arm clanking the air shock) so unless I'm cranking the music off-road (which I don't do) I will detect it.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mack73! Thanks for the offer. Can you please PM me the items and costs and where to get all this stuff?

As for off-roading, I have been anticipating some announcements/plans/emails but haven't received any yet. Am I off the list? Please let me know. Itching to get out!

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mack73! Thanks for the offer. Can you please PM me the items and costs and where to get all this stuff?

As for off-roading, I have been anticipating some announcements/plans/emails but haven't received any yet. Am I off the list? Please let me know. Itching to get out!

Sent you a PM

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the rear brakes today. Same story as the front. Different caliper carriers and rotors.

Here is the final parts list:

Front Caliper Carriers: SEH500012
Front Rotors: SDB000604
Front Pads: Same as v8
Front Wear Sensor: Same as v8

Rear Caliper Carriers: SXP500013
Rear Rotors: SDB000636
Rear Pads: Same as v8
Rear Wear Sensor: Same as v8

17" wheels: RRC002852MNH

SWEEEEET!

Wish I had known about this last summer when I bought new front rotors, pads, etc.

Real MTR's would be nice but my bigger wish for 17's is to allow an ideal sized winter specific tire in E load range such as the Michelin LTX or the Nokian LT2. In 18" they only offer 275/65x18 which will actually fit my lr3 just fine after having done some physical clearance mods this past summer but this size will not also allow chains to clear the tight areas, especially the UCA without use of spacers.

However, both tires above are made in 265/70x17" ...... These would fit my rud 4x4 snow chains and clear the UCA with spacers. This size would also allow chain use and moderate wheel articulation. Considering that in snow deep enough to warrant chains, I wouldn't be doing quite as much articulation anyway, not in the places I would be going. The chains really would be used minimally as a back up.

So, about those brakes allowing 17's, good so far?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwest, I don't know if you still have your 19s but Nokian sells their Hakka R2s in the 255/55R19 size, and they are really nice. I have about 750 miles on mine now and have had them in fairly deep snow already. They performed remarkably well. ...and since they are a 30" OD tire, you can fit your chains on them if needed.

Sorry to thread-jack...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to thread-jack...

Thank you for the idea. The Nokian R2 is a very nice tire. I have the car version on my bmw.

I do still have my 19". However, the 255/55x19 size is only load rated to 111 XL which is fine for a stock lr3 but not for mine. With it being at 7000 lbs or more, it is too close to the limits, especially when loaded up and near 8000.

Aside from that the R2 will not wear nearly as long as either the Michelin or the Nokian LT2. In fact the Michelin actually claims to have a 40,000 mile wear warranty.

Adding to the equation, the stock lr3 tire size is too small for the rud chains I have. On top of that, a stock width tire may still be too wide still for clearance at the tight spot behind the upper portion of the wheel at the control arm.

I think europeans have had good luck with chains on the stock size though. I am figuring they used spacers. That plus the smaller diameter ought to work quite well really for full articulation, sharp turns, etc, without issues.

A 245/70x17 would be ideal really. That's a 30.5" diameter and narrower so clearance issues are reduced. I'll be giving this 17" wheel thread some thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV