17" Wheels - How I got them on my LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, it looks like Lucky 8 may have found a 17" steelie that fits the V8 LR3 without modifications of any kind to the stock brakes:

photo1copy2_zps737ec214.jpg

Complete (ongoing) thread on ExPo: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120980-Lucky8’s-Project-Discovery-3

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes still work just as they always have - I really can't tell a difference.

But I would say, don't run the v6 fronts with the v8 rears - I did have to do a panic stop and the rears definitely locked for a second before the computer kicked in and fixed the situation.

The Lucky8 17" steel wheels have a lower offset so you'll get some extra clearance and they fit over the stock v8 brakes. Might solve your issue if the weight limit is high enough on them.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest, you have good points. I don't know much about chains, RUD or otherwise. I'm assuming that the chains that LR sells for the LR3 would fit with the stock sized tire though.

True with the winter tires and tread life. Luckily I will only run them Nov-Feb and won't put more than 3500 miles/year on them.

MT/Rs the rest of the time.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I would say, don't run the v6 fronts with the v8 rears - I did have to do a panic stop and the rears definitely locked for a second before the computer kicked in and fixed the situation.

It seems that lr4 people could basically take the same approach but maybe aren't willing to spend $. I have 20 18" wheels though, all powdercoated, etc. I think I'd rather get 18's onto an lr4 than have to go through buying a few sets of aftermarket 18's when the factory wheels also look better.

Maybe not though. People would buy my 18's for sure.

My thought though with lr4 brakes swapped out for lr3 is what you said above about the rear brakes. One would have to be careful to also consider this on an lr4 for similar reasons.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20? you actually have twenty 18" wheels ?! wow am I misunderstanding? if not hahah any 4 for sale?

hahaha anyhow I think that swapping brakes may be a bit of a hazard, I mean there's a reason for the V8 to have bigger brakes! I'd never swap those! IMO traction control and overall design are so good that the duratracs or zeons should get the LR3 through almost anything on 19"

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You misunderstand MY post about brakes. Mack73 swapped out his lr3 brakes for smaller to allow 17" wheels. Similarly there are lr4 drivers who would like to more easily fit 18" wheels, from the factory, but the lr4 brakes are larger than the normal lr3 brakes.
The lr3 v8 brakes though are more than adequate so it seems one could swap them and be good.

About the wheels, yes, I have 4 sets of 5 each (I always have a 5th matching for spare and in my sets, there are highway summer/all season, highway winter, AT and possibly sometime an actual studded winter.

1-Summer/most of the time: Michelin LTX MS2
2-Winter: currently Michelin LTX "winter" (basically a winter compound version of MS2)
3-AT: had been BFG AT ko in 265/65x18 but will next be the KO2 275/65x18

4-Studded winter for specific northbound winter trips January-February or using the smaller 265/65 plus snow chain clearance not possible with larger sizes mentioned above.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah I did misunderstand now I see what you said, makes perfect sense, the 3's brakes seem proper to stop the LR4 I wasn't aware that the new are bigger, in that case it I don't think it's a hazard then!
Gosh 4 sets?! so cool!! hahaha can't wait to graduate I'll buy at least 2 sets :cool:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 set was also partially intended for potential use on an off road camper/trailer.

2 sets is nice for winter/summer or beefy off road trips and regular rest of the time driving/commuting, etc.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little jealous. I have it good with 2 sets of wheels/tires (MT/Rs on 18s and Hakkas on 19s) but I could use some summer/touring tires on a 3rd set, too!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B
The Lucky8 17" steel wheels have a lower offset so you'll get some extra clearance and they fit over the stock v8 brakes. Might solve your issue if the weight limit is high enough on them.

Calling Mack....

Have you read about the 17" steel wheel provided by mudtech ? I am in conversation with them about wheel options having wider offset, wider rim width and also the 17" they have fitting TDV6 2.7 engine/lr3.

I am not sure yet if they have tested the steel on a V8 lr3 though. It's 17x8 ET 30 but it sounds like it may not work with the v8 brakes.

Also of interest from them are two other wheels:
18"x8.5" alloy ET 45 that will also fit lr4 same as the compo wheel
There's also a 9" wide x 18" ET 20 with optional rock rash ring. It may only fit on the lr3 without spacers though.

These are all tested on their own lr3 and lr4.

My idea would be to use the 17" steel if it will simply bolt on to the lr3 hub without issue. Then test fit the 33" bfg km2 and possibly commit to the lucky8 bump stop limiter. 255/80-17, 10" section. However, your 30.8" size would still provide good ground clearance if using the lucky8 strut top spacers.

Normally I would not want to loose any up travel, but in this design I think you regain enough downward travel to equalize the trade offs.

In reality the limiting thing on tire diameter becomes the fit against the slider ends at both tires. This is where tucking a narrow tire up front is most important. Although, the bfg 305/60x18 would look so incredibly bad ass... You might only be able to go straight ;) or at least revert to steering radius similar to a large tire on a Disco2.

From the website for referencing the brakes sizes:
"It always comes back to the question, do not fit even 18-inch wheels on the Discovery 4? The answer lies in the size of discs. The following sizes built Land Rover Discovery at 3 and 4 in the standard equipment:

Discovery 3 TDV6 (2.7), Discovery 4 TDV6 2.7, Discovery 4 V6: front 317 mm, rear 325 mm
Discovery 3 V8: front 337 mm, rear 350 mm
Discovery 4 TDV6 3.0, Discovery 4 V8: front 360 mm, rear 350 mm

For all models with a front disc diameter of 360 mm, commercially available 18-inch wheels can be raised. Please make sure here at the fine print in the ABE or the opinion, even if is executed and linked to the vehicle listing of Discovery. 4 The pads contain i.d.R. the note "Do not permissible on vehicle model with the following brake system on axis 1: 360x30 mm internally ventilated brake discs".

Only on the Discovery 4 models with the 2.7-liter diesel engine and in which not sold in our V6 gasoline engine fit 17- and 18-inch wheels. The 2.7-liter engine is no longer available from model year 2012, and was also previously built only in small numbers during Discovery. 4

When 3.0-liter TDV6 diesel engine at least 19 inch rims are required. Because there is no suitable choice of road tires in this size, we recommend to go here on 20-inch wheels.

From 2013, however, we can offer a specially designed 18-inch rims, which can also be installed at the 3.0 TDV6. The Compomotive rims in 18 "was specially developed for the Nemesis Bowler, a Range Rover Sport rally car, geferting. This rim can with any necessary adjustment and Eizelabnahme be driven on Discovery 4. When interested please contact us.
"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV