20/50 oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffry Johnson

Reaction score
More than enough people have asked me is your 2011 LR4 a DIESEL? Well it's not but sounds like one. Rove shop said engine is good and strong. Another person with older R. R. said run 20/50 oil in it and it will take the diesel sound away. True/False?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to anyone who told me to put out of spec oil in my truck.
Personally, I think the diesel sound adds some character :)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No! The caveman tech Buick V8 in old Range Rovers have nothing in common with the Jaguar 5.0L in your LR4. The noise you hear is likely the DI (Direct Injection). These high pressure fuel injectors are loud and make a tick. First thing I noticed going from a 4.4 LR3 to a LR4 was how loud the engine was at isle standing outside of it.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No just a random guy on the internet. But I do know that the LR4 engine ticks louder than the average gasoline engine does. And that as stated above it's the DI injectors making the clatter. Obviously I don't know how loud yours are, but if it sounds a lot like an older VW or MB diesel engine does, you're good.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware though that the 2010-2012 LR4 do have a weakness in the timing chain guides and those can go wrong and make sounds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72