2000 discovery 2 electrical issues

Discussion in 'Discovery' started by brianfelts, Sep 25, 2017.

1. brianfelts

brianfelts Member

Hi. I'm new here and just picked up my first land rover. I've done some searching here and on the Google and have found that there is some pretty common electrical problems, however I havnt seen much about solutions.

Here's my list.... front windows don't work (relays click behind glove box) rear windows work fine

Front sunroof doesn't work (no noise)
    Rear sunroof opens upon start up (sometimes) stuck open and unresponsive.

Seat controls dead.

It seems this would be all tied together in some magic way and I could use some guidance from people that know these vehicles. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

Welcome to the forum....

Sounds like someone left the front sunroof up and it got a lot of things wet.

Windows I would start by swapping switches, if that doesn't work you have other issues.

Check fuses, check connections. Best thing for sunroofs in the D1's and D2's is close them and disconnect them, but that is my opinion.

Seat controls dead, I am hoping fuse... if not you may have some serious water damage.

3. brianfelts

brianfelts Member

I think the switches are ok since the relay clicks. My first thought was to replace the module behind the glove box. I think I've seen it referred to as the BCU, but then I came across something about having to have it synced with this and that or you could have even more problems? Strange to me. I checked fuses under steering wheel and hood. I disconnected the different modules to find the right one. All connections seemed clean. Got me doing alot of head scratching. I'm exited about this thing and would like to get it sorted out. Thanks for the reply

4. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

Sorry I missed the relay clicking part... and the control unit IIRC is under the passenger seat.

5. Rob Caulfield

Rob Caulfield New Member

The electrical system can be tricky and it could be a ground somewhere but it could also be 4 unrelated issues. To start with easiest I would start under the seats. Pull the fuse (easy to see and access) and see if it is blown either visually or with a tester. It's possible the seat switch contact cleaner. Again very easy pry the control back out with a flat head screw driver, spray with electrical cleaner and pop back in.

Let's start there because if that fixes the seat then we probably have to get in to the doors.

brianfelts likes this.
  6. brianfelts

brianfelts Member

Yea looks like I need to manually close the sunroof and put it on the back burner and focus on one thing at a time. I'll check out the fuses when I dive back in this weekend.

One thing that I keep wondering though, is there a common denominator for all these issues that anyone knows of? A board or module or a major electric junction with all these wires? I've got a feeling this interior is going to be wrecked and in pieces by the end of the weekend. Haha

7. Rob Caulfield

Rob Caulfield New Member

I can't think of anything that would only effect these issues. Believe me you want it to be a blown fuse and not the BECM

8. brianfelts

brianfelts Member

Ouch. You're right about that

9. brianfelts

brianfelts Member

Just a follow up for anyone that may find this thread useful.... DO NOT BELIEVE IN COINCIDENCE! I HAD A BUNCH of individual issues.

Front driver window- stuck motor armature. Fixed by freeing worm gear with pliers

Front passenger- dirty contacts on motor plug, full of grease.

Seat controls- dirty contacts on switches (lots of spilled soda It looked like)

Sunrooves- cold solder joints in sunroof ecu. Resoldered connector pins and relays.

As a footnote. Buy a decent power probe and a shit load of beer before diving into electronics in these things