2004 Range Rover HSE stalled then won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason

Reaction score
2004 Range Rover, 4.4L BMW engine has 130K miles. Driving on the freeway about 60mph the engine started to lose power, just showing a service engine light, and some white smoke but not overheating. after driving about 1 mile to reach an exit the engine stalled completely. I opened the hood to see oil leaking all over the engine, not sure if it was spread around by the fan belt or coming out of multiple places. Towed the RR home. Tried starting but battery was too weak and after testing it was failed so I replaced it. The oil was 2 quarts low and I topped this off. Tried starting, engine cranks and sounds normal but won't start. Pulled all of the coils and spark plugs out and tested. There was a small amount of oil pooled around a few plugs but not major, and no oil was on the plugs where they are inside the motor (plugs were replaced about 15k miles ago along with one coil). Tested all of the coils and they tested at .8 between the two outer terminals. Testing from the center pin to coil output, 7 coils were at 14.5 and one was at 10.1 (#5 cylinder) that coil is the one replaced recently. Checked the fuel line pressure and read 50psi after about 10 seconds of cranking. Replaced the plugs and coils except one and grounded it then cranked the engine to confirm that it is sparking. I have had an oil leak at the timing covers for a few years but it's slow and I wasn't too worried about it. The valley pan has started leaking coolant about 6 months ago. I recently started seeing white smoke at start up for about 5 seconds but it doesn't continue after that. I plan to replace the PCV valve system, hoses and all of the leaking gaskets but don't want to spend that money if I can't confirm that the engine is still good. Any ideas on what is causing the engine to not start?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly sounds like a bad head gasket or intake gasket. If you see white smoke you are burning antifreeze. If the valley pan was leaking coolant 6 months ago did you change the gasket and have it looked at?

Jason

Reaction score
A range rover mechanic is who diagnosed the valley pan leak during an oil change. I don't use the truck often and just monitored the water level. It was a slow leak and didn't seem to be an immediate issue that I needed to jump on right away. There is no water in the oil as is common with a head gasket either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA