2004 Range Rover Re: oil pressure low! message and rattling sound when starting engin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carl

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I came across this great site by just typing in the issue I am having with my "04 Range Rover.
I have about 78K on this vehicle and it is operating great. However, I recently started to get an occasional alert on the instrument panel reading 'STOP ENGINE! Oil Pressure Low! I checked the oil and it is ok. In fact, I just had an oil change about a week before I started seeing this message.
Additionally, sometimes when I start the car, usually in the morning, I here a chuckling/metal clunking or rattling noise for a few seconds, which seems to originate from under the drivers front side, then the engine continues to fire up as normal.
If anyone knows what I can do to correct these errors, please let me know.
Thnks
carl

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a clogged oil tube going to the oil pump.... what type oil are you using?

x-ricer

Reaction score
strange, i get the same thing in my 04, minus the warning light on the dash.

it dosen't happen all the time, just sometimes. i get the knocking during start up..sounds kinda ugly....but the oil level indicates full....hmmm

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If oil indicates full, and your getting knocking, it is due to no oil at the valves.... not a good thing. This will wear an engine out fast.

x-ricer

Reaction score
actually just picked up the rover from service yesterday. they said that the knocking and ratteling was normal for the bimmer engines....

:confused:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, if they say so.... I think I would go to my local BMW dealer and take a test drive.... but the odds are it will not make the same noise.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a beamer and that is not normal. The knocking noise is no oil at the VALVES. The reason it stops (Knocking) is cause the oil finally gets there. This is really really not a good thing. I would have my oil pump tested and check all the oil lines. Because 1 day the oil might not reach the top then,bye bye $4000.00 or more on a rebuild. Take the time to check it or have it checked by a descent mechanic.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
4k on a rebuild would be nice.... figure on 15+ for a new engine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV