2011 - 2017 LR4 - My Experiences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after 5 years of ownership I sold my 2011 LR4 with 69,500KM on it.

I'm just posting this as more of a history for all future owners.

Overall I really liked the LR4 however the reliability was becoming a little bit of a concern. I know many people here have had little to no issues so take this experience as just one of many.

Issues in my 5 years of ownership:
1. Restricted Performance twice which was the camshaft and solenoid issue
2. TPMS sensor needed replacement
3. Parking brake module failed locking the back wheels. Needed towing and the back brakes where toast
4. Cable shifter needed replacement - gears were slipping
5. Transmission fluid was low
6. Water pump failed
7. Intake manifold needed replacement
8. Hood alarm sensor keep going off - needed to be replaced
9. Front control arm bushings needed replacement

Then there were tires and brakes. So overall, quite a bit each year to keep it on the road. It was not driven hard - really a family hauler.

Got a great price for a trade-in but moved down market to a non-premium brand. I just felt it was a lot of money to spend and would rather spend it other ways.

Bitter sweet leaving her yesterday. Really amazing truck.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right. Between our previous 04 Discovery, our 08 LR3 and our 08 RR, I think the overall average is roughly $175/month per vehicle in maintenance costs. Of course, that often comes in chunks, it's not like they are in the shop all the time (well, the Discovery was there pretty often!).

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty high for 42K miles. My 2011 LR4 has seen near 70K miles, pulled a camper, wheeled Colorado trails and only had the LCA bushing wear out. Likely due to age and washboard roads.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mpinco - like I said my experience probably isn't everyone's. Looks like you got a solid LR4!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knock on wood, but I have 3.5 years and 24.5k miles. Just did pads. Still on OEM tires (I also have winter tires that see some use). Other than a burned out headlamp, a vibrating driver's rear view mirror, and a driver seat that had some front-to-rear slack (all minor and all done under warranty) I have had no issues.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add 18" LR3 wheels, MotorSport-Tech spacers, 285/60-18 General Grabber AT2's, Rhino hitch and typically a Bell Alaskan canoe strapped to the Urban Offroad rack while pulling the 19' camper at altitude.

@mattypV50 - I think you were being too nice to her. She was lonely.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck just hit 4 years with 42k miles.

Faults:
-Water pump leak (known issue with a TSB)

Wear & Tear:
-Front and rear discs and pads
-Front LCA bushings

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone purchases a Land Rover for their dependability, you should get a Toyota for that (ugh...not a fan)

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iSurfvilano I agree, however there has to be, in my opinion, a reasonable amount of service for any vehicle - regardless of how much money a person has.

Vehicle is only enjoyable if it's not at the dealership.

Like I said, this wasn't meant to be a flame against the LR4. I had a great 5 years with it.

I did in fact buy a Toyota - good guess!

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iSurfvilano I agree, however there has to be, in my opinion, a reasonable amount of service for any vehicle - regardless of how much money a person has.

Vehicle is only enjoyable if it's not at the dealership.

Like I said, this wasn't meant to be a flame against the LR4. I had a great 5 years with it.

I did in fact buy a Toyota - good guess!

Funny you say that. The two other people that I work with that had LR3s traded for 4Runners. One of the guys compared his LR3 to the hot blonde in college that is a good looking, exotic, has all the bells and whistles, everyone one wants her, people stare at you as you walk with her, etc etc....but she also has expensive taste and is not marriage material, he traded in for the more dependable wife, the toyota. lol, I thought it was a funny comparison.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi