2011 - 2017 LR4 - My Experiences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a LR Discovery I owner looking for more engine power, we looked at Toyota's, Fords, Dodges and Chevy's. The older 60's Buick engine is really too small for towing. The Discovery I was actually a very reliable vehicle that served us well over the years. Still a DD. Not to today's standards but no manufacturer of older technology met today's standards. Reality check 101. The newer models failed to satisfy us on some level. Bev thought the Toyota's were bland, ugly (warts for styling) or cramped. Friends had mechanical issues with them. The 4Runners are known as roll-over queens. In all cases vehicle selection is a compromise, a hope that you made the right choice and that there would be a degree of luck. We stayed LR as it checked more items on our list. So far that has worked out well.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a LR Discovery I owner looking for more engine power, we looked at Toyota's, Fords, Dodges and Chevy's. The older 60's Buick engine is really too small for towing. The Discovery I was actually a very reliable vehicle that served us well over the years. Still a DD. Not to today's standards but no manufacturer of older technology met today's standards. Reality check 101. The newer models failed to satisfy us on some level. Bev thought the Toyota's were bland, ugly (warts for styling) or cramped. Friends had mechanical issues with them. The 4Runners are known as roll-over queens. In all cases vehicle selection is a compromise, a hope that you made the right choice and that there would be a degree of luck. We stayed LR as it checked more items on our list. So far that has worked out well.

I agree with the 4Runner being bland, but that stuff is always personal preference as I have friends who swear by their interior. I test drove a 2016 TRD 4Runner before heading to the LR dealership, for me the 4runner was nice but the land rover's "feel" and overall driving experience was far superior, IMO. I enjoy hearing about former owner's experiences as it gives me a heads up to what to expect, I greatly value that input and hope that as others move on to other vehicles they give us write ups like @mattypV50 .

My purchase of the LR4 was pretty simple after scouring the new vehicle market...if I wanted the most capable offroader I would've purchased another Wrangler, if I wanted documented reliability I would've went 4Runner, but I wanted something that was somewhere in between but with a better ride and something that I don't see every tom,**** and harry driving (Jeeps waves, ugh...lol). But who the hell knows, I may be in a new ford bronco or defender in a few years, lol.

rjowenusa

Reaction score
Great comparison of the hot blonde and a rover! My '06 LR3 has 125K miles and my '04 DII has 155k miles. They originally mine and the wife's respectively but she insisted we switch because the DII steering lock is worn and now requires a 'knack' to unlock. The DII was beat up when I bought it but aside from a coolant leak 'somewhere' close to the cabin heat exchanger and some rough upholstery it's still a great drive. The only time I've taken the DII to a dealer was for a rear passenger door lock that jammed in super lock mode. I gave them a used part from eBay and left them to do the hammer and chisel work. Oh, and the wife is a hot blonde which is fortunate because it makes the rover's look low maintenance! :)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 55K on my LR4 and so far I have only had 2 issues:
- Water pump leak (TSB)
- Cracked windshield washer fluid reservoir

I just did the rear brakes and plan to do the fronts soon. When our LR3 hit 75K miles, it needed about $3K of new front suspension parts, so I know that is coming. Will probably get a new Discovery before then, since the LR4 still has a decent trade-in value. But we're keeping my wife's LR4 forever.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned my 2010 for about three months now. I have an extended warranty, five years/158k miles(currently has 93.5k).
Thus far I've only had to replace:

- Hood latch assembly due to the alarm going off at night

- Compressor. Upgraded to AMK with software reflash.

- Cleaned MAF sensors after experiencing rough idle in park.

- Fixed air leak in one tire.

Brakes are due for replacement soon. Have those on order.

Left front wheel hub assembly needs to be replaced as I've got a growl and slight squeal upon making right hand turns.

The lower control arms showed replaced on the vehicles history at 77k miles. How long do those usually last? Should I go ahead and start hunting for a set? I purchased it with higher mileage for the intentions of keeping it for years to come as I had rather well experiences with my previous 2005 years ago prior to selling. Therefore I don't mind keeping up with the maintenance so long as it's not catastrophic. I'm sure I'll need to replace the water pump in the future. Luckily that'll be under warranty.

Last edited:

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 LR4 with 65k miles. Lots of towing, though primarily motorcycles so nothing too heavy. Nothing significant has needed to go into it beyond normal maintenance (fluids, pads...). The LR4 has been great, by far, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. This is about the mileage that I start looking for the next vehicle but It is not happening with the LR4. Looks, drivability and ruggedness. I believe I have become a bonafide fanboy ;)

Olli Rita

Reaction score
Doesn't really seem that much after all, It was just missing some of this ;) on regular basis.

20170224_102302.jpg

andy727

Reaction score
2012 LR4 with 65k miles. Lots of towing, though primarily motorcycles so nothing too heavy. Nothing significant has needed to go into it beyond normal maintenance (fluids, pads...). The LR4 has been great, by far, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. This is about the mileage that I start looking for the next vehicle but It is not happening with the LR4. Looks, drivability and ruggedness. I believe I have become a bonafide fanboy ;)

I'm in the same boat. 85k miles on my 2012, mostly highway miles with motorcycles in tow, with a bit of wheeling, and daily driving. Its been a very long time since I've kept a vehicle this long and this many miles. It's (knock on wood) never had any issues. I did have the dealer replace the lower control arm bushings before 50k miles when it was under warranty. I'll be doing the brakes soon. I guess I got a good one!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi