2011 LR4 - MPG getting worst

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be good to figure out what the source of this is. I doubt its just tires. I run 265/65R18 worn ATs and this last weekend I drove 14 hours (7 each way) with roof cases and full rig, with full skids, full bumper with full jerry cans.. and very little wind. Ended up getting around 18-19 mpg. I don't normally get that kind of mileage, but I can't figure out how mine is so high.

I have a theory that full skids gives me some type of aerodynamic super cruise.

IMG_20170813_190535-X2.jpg

IMG_20170811_095947-X2.jpg

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MMO is 90% napthenic oil and mineral spirits (60%/30%) There are certainly stronger carbon cleaners out there. But I don't want to totally dis it, many people seem to like it.

jhartz

Reaction score
Your -6.3 LTFTs peaked my interest (or is piqued?). Thought I would test mine: first, tho, I had to replace the 5 amp fuse at position 66 which was blown so the OBD reader would get a signal. After ten minute drive I was seeing -3.1 right bank and -1.6 left bank. Around town MPG is 15.9, this week.

OL Trekker

Reaction score
MMO is approved by the FAA for use in GA aircraft powered by IC engines. It's been around for decades and it does work very well. By the above logic one can't 'dis' diamonds or door locks totally, either, but is it a) because many people seem to like them, or b) is there some other, more substantial reason? Stay on point, irrelevant comment wastes time and space and does nothing for one's image

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't follow your analogy. And don't worry, I haven't thought about your image at all, even after such a stupid suggestion. I actually prefer my more polite way of saying it earlier, but you seemed to have missed it. People like a lot of things that don't work, and if they think it works then I am happy for them. That's all I was getting at. I've got 1800 gallons of a fuel additive in a tank right now (because that's my business) that actually does clean. But what do I know, pour some oil in your tank and some mineral spirits in your crankcase...I really don't care to get into it that much.

OL Trekker

Reaction score
Ooops! My bad. Didn't know MMO was a competitor of yours. Tell us what you sell and maybe it will get tried. Is it approved by the FAA?

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well back to subject. I don't think fuel treatment or crankcase cleaner will do anything for our direct injection intake valves. BG induction cleaner makes a good product/ service but you need to take off the intake manifold and put in some elbow grease, or take it to A shop. Picture
Screenshot_2017-08-16-13-52-40.png
of mine when I had intake manifold off.
Screenshot_2017-08-16-13-52-20.png

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Direct injection has a much bigger problem with carbon buildup. But you mean BG right?

jhartz

Reaction score
I like BG 44K, too. Also SeaFoam. But I am not sure that is going to clean up that sludge and carbon. I haven't seen anything that bad since I worked on a 64 Continental that hadn't had its oil changed in a few YEARS.

But then again, I don't go around pulling manifolds . . . Does this suggests our intake valves mirror this (?).

What will work on this mess?

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry yes BG not just the fuel additive, they have a 2 stage kit for scrubbing valves. Unfortunately the 44k won't do anything except make my wallet smaller.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA