2016 - free first scheduled maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a follow up from another post, might be useful to others.
http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/lr4-tire-rotation.28959/

When we bought the LR4 nearly a year ago we were told by salesman 1st scheduled maint was free within 1 year or 15k miles. We also a few months later received the welcome packet with the camera lenses and some brochures from LRNA that had free first maint info in the brochure. So I figure great, 1st one is free and I'll do the rest from there.

We aren't close on mileage but 1 year is 2 weeks away so my wife calls to book an appointment last week. Service tells her the first service is no longer free for 2016 model years. Our sale guy is no longer there so cant go complain to him. The post above though sent me down the path to call LRNA.

Today I call LRNA. Get a customer service person, explain what's going on and the first response is "That was something the dealer probably told you and they sent you the brochure." Luckily(this time) my wife saves everything. I tell her I have the box in front of me it came in with the return address of LRNA. She says great, scan the page with the maint info and email it to her and they can call the dealer to make sure it's covered. I said, you guys sent it, don't you have it on record. She responded they need to see that we have the document to honor it. "document" being a generic brochure.

So long story short, if you bought a 2016 make sure you keep the welcome box info and check the page about scheduled maint to see what it says. If dealer says it's not free call LRNA. I added my scanned image so you know what it looks like. Our appointment is next Tuesday so I'll update how it goes.

Attachments

• [Untitled][1].pdf
    138.3 KB · Views: 55

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a reminder, the first "Scheduled Maintenance" is just a glorified oil/filter change (they'll also reset your Service Reminder light - unless they forget, which they often do. :)) Probably takes a dealer all of 10 minutes to do it, plus 8 quarts of Castrol oil and a filter. It's also a chance for them to tack on some other charges for "recommended" items that will be on your dime if you agree to them (and why wouldn't you? The car is already on the rack, and the dealer is supposed to be an expert, right?), such as obscenely priced brake jobs if your pads squeak a little and/or are starting to get worn.

If you can still get the first service done for free on a MY16, great. It's not going to bust your budget otherwise, especially if you get the oil change done at a LR indy shop instead of the overpriced dealer. Or, learn how to do it yourself in your garage and you will save some serious bucks over time.

Last edited:

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill be doing the maint moving forward, I've just been lazy banking on this first one so I havent ordered oil change equipment or figured out best place to source oil yet. Plus we have a couple warranty items they need to check.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange how they claim the first free service no longer applies to 2016 LR's while Jaguar is offering free service for 5 years and 60,000 miles! Being that they are marketing these new dual-branded dealerships, maybe they need more people to "go left" when entering the door...

http://www.jaguarusa.com/owners/service-warranties/2016-limited-warranty.html

jaguar-land-rover-darien-dealership-768x277.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jaguar badly needs to sell a lot more cars than they do currently, Land Rover doesn't. I remember when I purchased my RRS in late 2005, US Land Rover owners used to get all scheduled maintenance free for 3 years or 45K miles, and that was back when Land Rovers needed a service every 6 months or 7500 miles, not a year or 15/16K miles. So, basically my first 6 scheduled service appointments were on their dime. As sales started climbing thanks to the Sport's success, the freebies started shrinking.

Last edited:

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
As a reminder, the first "Scheduled Maintenance" is just a glorified oil/filter change (they'll also reset your Service Reminder light - unless they forget, which they often do. :)) Probably takes a dealer all of 10 minutes to do it, plus 8 quarts of Castrol oil and a filter. It's also a chance for them to tack on some other charges for "recommended" items that will be on your dime if you agree to them (and why wouldn't you? The car is already on the rack, and the dealer is supposed to be an expert, right?), such as obscenely priced brake jobs if your pads squeak a little and/or are starting to get worn.

If you can still get the first service done for free on a MY16, great. It's not going to bust your budget otherwise, especially if you get the oil change done at a LR indy shop instead of the overpriced dealer. Or, learn how to do it yourself in your garage and you will save some serious bucks over time.

Funny, ours is scheduled for tuesday also. Replacing the cabin/pollen filter is also part of the first maint service. I confirmed with the dealer they will change it. Won't rotate tires even though its listed as part of the first service. I'm doing the tires tomorrow myself. I've allready changed the oil/filter at 4500miles. Just turned 8kmiles. After this free service i'll be doing all maintenance in house.

I'm using the same brochure page you posted above. Dealer said to leave brochure in vehicle so they can verify it.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got the LR4 back today. Everything went fine with the free first maint and they did include free tire rotation. LRNA even called to make sure it all went as expected.

They also replaced the stop/start battery and "fixed" that function which had stopped. Hopefully this battery dies soon too.

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
So got the LR4 back today. Everything went fine with the free first maint and they did include free tire rotation. LRNA even called to make sure it all went as expected.

They also replaced the stop/start battery and "fixed" that function which had stopped. Hopefully this battery dies soon too.

Got ours back also. Same experience except no tire rotation, didn't reset service interval reminder, and oily fingerprints all over plastic engine cover!!! I guess people have no pride in their work..... I cannot imagine letting a vehicle go like that after I had worked on it.

Fixed our ECO mode by reconfiguring the gateway module. Though I will probably be unwiring the battery as we hate it's operation.

I hope I get a call from LRNA!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV