2016 LR4 AC Odor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grabo79

Reaction score
I purchased a 2016 LR4 Landmark on August 13th this year, and it has been emitting an odor when the air conditioning is running. Truck has just gone over 1500 miles, and the dealership has already tried to remedy the odor once. As an explanation, the odor is not continuous. It comes and then it goes. When the odor comes, it smells like dry ice that is melting or has melted. Odor becomes noticeable after driving the truck for 30 minutes and has lasted for up to a minute while continuing to drive. Then it goes away, and sometimes comes back as quickly after driving 3 miles or as long as after 30 minutes of driving. Dealer service tech could not find anything physically wrong with the AC system. Tech did clean the evaporative cooler, but this has not fully resolved the problem. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any technical ideas of how to remedy this once and for all?

TXLR4

Reaction score
have you tried replacing the cabin filter?

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in a humid climate you probably have some mold in the evaporator after a warm summer. You might want to search clubtouareg.com for a lengthy thread on dealing with this. The Car Talk guys talk about spraying stuff into the vents to **** it and using fragrances to cover the odor.

Dan Salmon

Reaction score
I seem to be having the exact same problem. I think I got my LR4 right around the same date as you as well and I have about the same amount of miles. It seems to have started (for me) around 400 miles, and now it happens almost anytime I'm in my car and have the A/C on. It's pretty pretty strong as well. I'll probably take it in to the dealer next week some time as it doesn't seem to be fixing itself--what I had hoped.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My i3 is doing the same thing. service says it's due to high humidity and old water in the system.

Smell goes away about 3-4 minutes after I run the ac

My LR3 has no such issue thus far nor did any of my 2 LR4s

TXLR4

Reaction score
replacing the cabin filter should help substantially with this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi