2016 Speaker Sizing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTBike

Reaction score
I'm having zero lucking finding any diagrams or clear info on what size speakers I have in a 2016 with the Meridian "17" speaker upgrade. The normal places I'd go to like Crutchfield don't have any info.

The front and rear doors are easy - 3 way 6.5 in the front; 2 way 6.5 in the rear.

But what's in the center channel, the 2 speakers on either side of the trunk liftgate, and the size of the sub?

Thanks for the help!

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on installing new speakers?

VTBike

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the help on the Sub.

Yes, I already installed a set of Audison Voce 3 way components in the front, and 2-way components in the rear, as well as had the doors dynmatted to get rid of the vibration (though minimal) that was present.

Sound is much better, and I'm super happy with the results. The Meridian isn't bad, but it's really nothing amazing. It was actually surprising to see the Meridian speakers - they are really pretty crappy. Super lightweight with all plastic enclosures.. definitely identifiable as just a run of the mill OEM car setup.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: asked you for sizes, but I see them in your original

Michael W

Reaction score
Hello VTBIKE - did you replace them yourself or have a local car audio shop do them...I recently bought a 2015 LR4 LUX with the meridian surround (17 speaker) and like you I want, not super impressed by the factory speakers - did you just swap the old speakers out with the new, not other customization? Did you have to take the door panels off? If so, can you explain how or point me to how, without causing any damage?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A year or so ago I took mine to a local car audio place. I've been into home stereo equipment for a while (tube amps and boutique speakers) and wanted to see what a good setup in my LR4 would look like.

The place I took it to does high-end installations. They told me that the stock audio in my LR4 wasn't really that bad, and that they'd pretty much have to redo the whole setup from behind the factory head unit on-back to get anything better. Just replacing the speakers mostly doesn't work because the impedance would be all wrong, and any good car stereo installation requires significant equalization--something the Land Rover system probably has baked-in from the factory.

My LR4 doesn't have the meridian system. But really, I think it can sound kind of good so long as the source recording is well-produced (being a home-audio buff, I have an assortment of "audiophile" songs that I know can make almost any stereo sound better; a trick that a lot of stereo retailers often use). And it would cost a relative fortune to make it sound like even a decent home setup.

Others here have replaced the factory speakers with Focals and said they made a big difference. But from my experience with home audio, a lot of people equivocate different as "better," when it isn't always the case.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV