255/55/19 alternatives to OEM Conti 4X4 Contact?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not looking to change wheels or type for the SO's 2015 LR4 with 16k. So just planning ahead now. I do love the Nokian GR2's on my Touareg for all-around versatility. Has anyone tried those on an LR. Noise could be an issue for her. Recommendations?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you may mean the Nokian WRG2 which I'm pretty sure have been replaced by the WRG3 SUV. I put a set of these on my LR4 in January and love them. They are considered all-weather severe service (mountain snowflake emblem) tires that are suitable for year-round use. I'm sure that there are some tradeoffs involved but the convenience factor rates high for me. They were a bit hard to source locally but I found them for a good price with a Michigan-based online tire source. I have had the stock Contis as well as Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas prior to these. I consider each change to be an upgrade from the prior tire. I'm very happy with these Nokians.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tires are for your SO and noise is an issue, then you might consider the Michelin Premier LTX. I have not run these myself, but they have good reviews, the name would be a confidence builder with the SO and performance would be better than the stock tires. And they probably would be the most epensive stock size tire you will find too, so you can claim you bought the best.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/premier-ltx.html

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Michelin link says $316 with limited availability and google brings up noone else. Perhaps I'll query Discount.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Michelins on my LR4--they were on it when I bought it this past January--and I have no complaints with how they've been on-road, but I don't have anything to compare them to. My local Land Rover dealer (Land Rover Merriam) had an off-road event this past June at a ORV park with wet rocks, dirt, and mud. They did remarkably well there as well, considering what they are.

I think I will eventually go the 18" wheel route so I can get some E-rated tires for when I head to Colorado, but, if I was to keep things primarily on-road, I think the Michelins would be the way to go.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the Michelin Premier LTX and they are so quiet and smooth compared to the Cooper Zeons they replaced. However, the tread pattern looks pretty shallow for winter use. (I run Nokian Hakka SUV R2's in winter) If you want all season use, I would go with the Nokian WRG3.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We often have flooded streets. How are the Michelin Premier's for hydroplaning?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Splashing from the front tires on to the windshield seems to be less when hitting big puddles as well.

Disappointed to hear that. The signature windshield drench is one of my favorite parts of driving my LR4 in the rain. Once you know to expect it and have your hand on the wiper control, it's kind of fun in a completely adolescent way.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! That splashing is her only complaint about the LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi