$400 Brake Light Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a waste to my action-packed weekend!!

So, Friday I notice my brake light is out. Hmm, let's go to Kragen first thing Saturday morning to get it replaced; while I'm out i'll go get an oil change. $65 into the car to keep the baby going. While I'm at JiffyLube, they take my air filter out, hmm, pretty damn dirty. That's probably the cause of my ass gas mileage, I'll also grab a new K&N filter when I hit up kragen. (Now totalling $115 into car for weekend)

So I get out of JiffyLube head to college to pay for my classes and pick up my books. Finish up there, head off to Kragen. Get my air filter on order, and pick up a new brake light. In the parking lot of Kragen, I had a really weak start, car was acting kind of funny - I brushed it off and started home. A block away, the car suddenly died. At first I thought my alternator had finally gone (Been whining recently) but, I try to crank the car again, it has no problem cranking - and battery had a full charge once I put a voltmeter up to it. Hmm, maybe I ran out of gas. (Our BMW 2002 "broke" one day, we towed it to the machanic and he said we ran out of gas, hah, how embarrasing) go grab a gas can, fill it up a bit, start it. It starts, but VERY weak, 100-200 RPM, when I press the pedel, it stutters a LOT, popping sounds, things are definitly not right. Get my friend to come tow me the 1/2 home, we have to go buy a Tow-Strap and we decide to get a Fuel Filter, thinking the one in there now is probably clogged. (New total, $175) Get home, exchange filter, try to start, NOTHING, NOOOO!!!!!!

Take the fuel line going into fuel filter off, try to start, no fuel???

Well ****. Now I have to wait till tuesday to go to the dealer (Since Kragen and PepBoys both asked the question "LandRover Discovery?, got it, who makes that GMC or Ford? - they don't have any starters)

Sorry for the long story, luckilly I didn't go to LA this weekend as planned I woulda been SOL right around the grapevine :hmpf: . Any recommendations on places to purchase the starter at, i'm sure the dealer is going to charge me an arm and a leg, or two! AtlanticBritish has a few options available, should I purchase one of those?

Thanks for the help everyone - And everyone have a good labor day!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If I read the post correctly, you said the Rover starts, but then hardly runs. If it is slow to start, then you might need a starter, but it sounds more like a fuel pump or fuel system issue then a starter issue.

Just checking.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a mean green from 4x4 connection for less $$ than genuine replacement. I do have to agree w/Joey though, sounds like a fuel pump/system issue. When my pump went south it did similiar things, dieing then running weak. New pump & filter & going strong. Discount Rovers is a great place for parts, and I've found DAP Inc. to be "the place" for many of my parts. Good Luck. LRW.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Two words = Fuel pump..Check the fuel pump. I doubt its your starter...You can test that (11V output). I have a 1998 D1 79K miles..Lets all say it together now Fuel Pump! I have one that I can mail you ...But you will have to rebuild it. I know how it feels trust me!!! You might want to stop the whole mash the pedal, crank away thing too.. JMHO. I did that and all of a sudden my ECU needed Prozac and 115.00 later my ECU had its baseline idle re-mapped...All together this little lesson cost me about 800.00 plus that *would* have been a winch.

Best wishes,
Melissa N
FYI: I am by no means an ASE Certified Land Rover Tech however after owning own I feel like I should be ;)

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C'mon now, everyone together, let's all sing the "Fuel Pump Song"........we all know it by heart! W/Rich singing in we could have a Quartet! HaHaHaHa......yes, I carry a spare NEW fuel pump every where I go! And a motor mount too! Thank You! LRW.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha,

Thanks everyone. We found out is was a fuel system problem pretty quickly. The car cranks over perfectly fine, just wont start anymore :) -

Thanks for the recommendations on the places to purchase a new pump - Is stock pump good enough or are there any "Performance" (Excuse me if I'm talking like a ricer right now) fuel pumps? Taking a drive up to extreme cold temp's this winter, and I want to make sure I'm covered.

Thanks !

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Bryan: Can you wait for a couple of hours?? Joey has a friend named Bob ( I know this sounds REALLY FISHY but he can get an INCREDIBLE PRICE ON PUMPS)....If not looking at around 299.99 (DAP) or 250.00 @ RoverConnection.com

Or I can mail you my old pump and you can rebuild it ...I do not know how to do this but Sergei does! He might be able to tell you the part number you need to rebuild mine. Either way good luck!!
What's the CHEER GUYS?? We love fuel pumps!! YEAH!!!! Sorry I am a bit of a girly girl ;) Melissa N 1998 D1

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly a new pump is like around $90 or so.... but I could be a little off.

http://www.a-1injectors.com/ or you can contact him on Yahoo at

injectors12000 I just checked his site and it seemed to be down right now... No it will not show a LR in the inventory...you have to either email or call or IM him to get the price on a LR fuel pump.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone going to tell him about the access hatch under the rear carpet, or just let him find it when he removes the tank! Yee Haw! LRW.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA