5.0 Injector Lifespan? Worth replacing during Timing Chain job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DI injectors are a slightly different animal from the older style low pressure injectors. My vehicle had all 8 swapped out due to leaking at about 60k miles.

As soon as I hear a hint of chain/tensioner noise the LR4 is being traded in.

dwizum

Reaction score
BeemerNut, you are referencing Bosch injectors and fpr's from conventional port injection engines. It is my understanding that the 5.0 is direct injected and therefore a completely different beast in terms of injectors. Is that not correct? Do you have actual experience maintaining direct injection engines?

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"D1 injectors are a slightly different animal from the older style low pressure injectors".

Before the 1987 D1's I recall they only had carburetors not fuel injection.
Crappy single squirt Lucas injectors removed from the 95 D1 and replaced with later era 4 hole Bosch injectors made a world of a difference.

At what mileage on average do these LR4 engines begin making chain noises?

"As soon as I hear a hint of chain/tensioner noise the LR4 is being traded in".
Trading in sounds like an expensive loss of money.
Something to be said about older pushrod engines that keep on running and running.
Replacing LR's link belt timing chain and crappy sprockets to double row true roller timing chain with steel sprockets and not worry about them for at least another 150K miles.

I recall an older friend back in the 80's when he turned 60 purchased a KTM thumper that ended up being an expensive adventure with problems.
Sure hope the later versions got things ironed out.
Why did KTM have different displacement size bike numbers when they all had 510cc displacement engines?
Nice bikes overall.
.....~~=o&o>......

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At what mileage on average do these LR4 engines begin making chain noises?

"As soon as I hear a hint of chain/tensioner noise the LR4 is being traded in".
Trading in sounds like an expensive loss of money.
Something to be said about older pushrod engines that keep on running and running.
Replacing LR's link belt timing chain and crappy sprockets to double row true roller timing chain with steel sprockets and not worry about them for at least another 150K miles.

I recall an older friend back in the 80's when he turned 60 purchased a KTM thumper that ended up being an expensive adventure with problems.
Sure hope the later versions got things ironed out.
Why did KTM have different displacement size bike numbers when they all had 510cc displacement engines?
Nice bikes overall.
.....~~=o&o>......

Judging by the posts here, a lot of people are having them done around 60k miles due to the noise. It's a $5k plus job at the dealership, so the loss in money is relative, especially if you don't plan on keeping the LR4 long-term anyway.

dwizum

Reaction score
I hope saltyfly doesn't mind if I slightly hijack the thread, but maybe we can stay focused by answering the following questions regarding the 5.0 v8, with a yes or no, plus mileage, and any relevant info:

1) Have you had actual injector issues? How did you remedy?
2) Have you cleaned/serviced the injectors?
3) Have you replaced working injectors during a chain job, out of fear of impending injector failure?

I will have another look at the service records I got with my LR4 to see if I can specifically answer these myself.

Saltyfly

Reaction score
I have not had any injector specific problems. Just trying to midigate future repairs. $800 sounds like a lot, but if I have to pay 2-3x that amount to have them replaced (parts plus labor) because they are nearing their life expectancy it makes sense to just swap them out now with zero additional labor costs since they have to removed for timing chain job anyway.

I took my LR4 in for the timing chain job today. Even though I could elect to do just the guides (as advised on the TSB), I have read mixed reviews about it actually fixing the problem since it is likely that the slop on the chain from the bad guides actually stretched the chain. As expensive as this repair is, I'm not willing to take a gamble, and end up having to have the job done again.

As for costs- Land Rover quoted me $5,600 for just the guides, and "up to" $9,000 for the full timing chain job.

My independent LR Mechanic (very trusted as I took my LR3 there for repairs and maintanace for the last 10 years before I bought the LR4) is doing it for about $2k less (including a genuine water pump replacement, Spark Plugs, Oil Change, and coolant flush/change as well). He told me he will not do just the guide job as he doesn't believe it will actually correct the slop issue since the chain is likely stretched, and he can't put his name on that repair.

I should get it back on Friday. I took a before video that has pretty decent audio of the slop/rattling noisein coming from the chain. I'll take an after video as well and post it up.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree we do not need to derail a thread with stories about other engines etc.

Here I go:
2010 currently at 160k kms
I have always run 91 octane top tier gas.

Injectors replaced due to leaking at about 90k kms. Engine threw a code (misfre in first few revss on start up) Now at 160k kms. and everything good.
Chain/Tensions never done. No noise.

Why would I trade in with tensioner noise? A $5k job on a $15k vehicle... Better to trade in and get a lower mileage unit. A creampuff 2013 or perhaps a Toyota Landcruiser or new Defender if it is decent.

Can you post the before vid?

Thanks

Saltyfly

Reaction score
Here is the before video. It's a cold start, so it takes 15-20 seconds for the RPM's to settle to an idle. It sound exactly the same when it's warmed up. My mechanic said it's by far not the worst he's heard, but recommended I have the timing chain job done before it got too much worse.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's way worse than any sound I have in mine. Yours sounds almost like this:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi