5.0 Injector Lifespan? Worth replacing during Timing Chain job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wthammett

Reaction score
1. I have over 165,000 miles on my 2011 and my noise is much closer to the fisher price toy video as well, sort of a 'tap, tap, tap, tap' that last about 15-20 seconds upon start up and it's gone.
2. No FI data for you other than to say I've had no issues, codes or other performance isssues that would denote FI needed replaced and I'll be at 170,000 here soon. But the thread starter sounds like a guy that does things right and is spending the money for this repair so do what feels good to you brother.

Good luck -

Saltyfly

Reaction score
I received the Bosch injectors from AB today, and took them to my mechanic. I compared them closely to the factory original injectors pulled out of my LR4. I am 99.99% certain the Factory injectors are either manufactured by Bosch (or Bosch’s manufacture makes the Factory injectors as well). I wish I took pictures, because all of the lettering and symbols are absolutely IDENTICAL. Same exact color, font, and placement as well. I was also surprised how much carbon buildup was on the tips of the original injectors, it had to be altering the pattern/flow of the injectors. I’m glad I bit the bullet and bought the replacements.

I also spent some time inspecting the timing chain job, and was surprised how much had to be removed just to access the timing chain. Installing the new timing chain is also looks to be a VERY tedious job. They just got the new chains, guides, and tensioners installed when I arrived. The old guides had the exact indentations that the guy on the RSW Solutions video showed. My mechanic said it also looks like the old chains stretched close to a half an inch. I’m going to ask for the old chains and guides back so I can take some pictures and measure them my self. I may even order a new chain and try to accurately measure the stretch somehow. He also showed me the design changes in the tensioners. It is clear the new design will flow more oil...not sure if that means they will put more pressure on the guides and chains, but it definitely looks like an improvement.

Either way, I am very happy (and broke) that I chose to do the entire timing chain job instead of just the guides.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received the Bosch injectors from AB today, and took them to my mechanic. I compared them closely to the factory original injectors pulled out of my LR4. I am 99.99% certain the Factory injectors are either manufactured by Bosch (or Bosch’s manufacture makes the Factory injectors as well). I wish I took pictures, because all of the lettering and symbols are absolutely IDENTICAL. Same exact color, font, and placement as well. I was also surprised how much carbon buildup was on the tips of the original injectors, it had to be altering the pattern/flow of the injectors. I’m glad I bit the bullet and bought the replacements.

I also spent some time inspecting the timing chain job, and was surprised how much had to be removed just to access the timing chain. Installing the new timing chain is also looks to be a VERY tedious job. They just got the new chains, guides, and tensioners installed when I arrived. The old guides had the exact indentations that the guy on the RSW Solutions video showed. My mechanic said it also looks like the old chains stretched close to a half an inch. I’m going to ask for the old chains and guides back so I can take some pictures and measure them my self. I may even order a new chain and try to accurately measure the stretch somehow. He also showed me the design changes in the tensioners. It is clear the new design will flow more oil...not sure if that means they will put more pressure on the guides and chains, but it definitely looks like an improvement.

Either way, I am very happy (and broke) that I chose to do the entire timing chain job instead of just the guides.

All very good info. Thanks for sharing.

And yes, photos, measurements, etc. would be very helpful.

Does any one have a photo comparing old versus new parts?

viper_iii

Reaction score
Also interested in pics and approx labor cost to install chain and injectors.
Currently have 12 LR4 and have been considering this maintenance ~105k miles on it

https://goo.gl/CPQVsk - Injectors $899 Full set
https://goo.gl/fCrDYK - timing chain kit - $995
or other kit:
https://goo.gl/85Jkge ~ $500?!?

here were shots from an 11 that has had injectors fail twice ~45k each time. always running 91 (CA)

1-3 were from 2017 ~90k Miles / 4-5 were from 2015 ~45k Miles
injectors-01.JPG injectors-04.JPG

My 12 LR4 however haven't started acting like this 11 RRS was - going into limp mode and barely running.

Same engine and injectors though in both engines.

injectors-02.JPG

injectors-03.JPG

injectors-05.JPG

video of replacement - not sure how its done while engine still inside vs on a bench

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. Rough idle on these or anything noticeable?

Saltyfly

Reaction score
Also interested in pics and approx labor cost to install chain and injectors.

I bought the timing belt kit, injectors, and water pump from Atlantic British. Total for parts was roughly $2k (with the 10% off New Years coupon they sent me). I was quoted $6k for labor, but I won’t know the final price until I pick it up.

The LR dealership wouldn’t give me a firm quote, but said just the guides would be at least $5,600, and the full timing chain job “could be up to $9,000.” This would not have included a water pump or injectors either (and I doubt they would have installed the Bosch injectors for me). Looks like the Land Rover injectors are about $300 a piece.

Interesting note which I’m going to share with AB. The Timing Belt kit from AB includes the accessory drive chain, guides, & tensioners. The accessory chain drives a small cam shaft on the bottom passenger side of the engine that drives the oil pump and high pressure fuel pumps. My mechanic (who seems to really know these 5.0 motors) says it is not possible to replace the chain with the engine in the truck. After looking at how deep it is in the block, I do not doubt him. It was probably only $100 extra in parts, but I’m going to ask if AB will accept a return on them.

SBrownE

Reaction score
I just completed replacement of the timing chain, etc on my 2011 LR4, 115K miles. I did the work myself and truck runs and sounds like new. With that said, there are a few things that I can pass along regarding the injectors.
There are two methods for replacing the faulty tensioners and guides 1) replacing only the tensioners and guides - there is a procedure on Topix that outlines how to do it, but it can be tricky to keep the engine from jumping timing, however the valve covers / injectors are not removed. 2) full out replacing the the timing chain, crankshaft sprocket, tensioners, guides, gaskets, etc, The later is a better longterm fix but more expensive and yes requires addressing the injectors. I did option 2 as my timing chain was indeed a stretched. While the injectors are a solid piece of kit, they can take a beating upon removal using the Land Rover Injector tool. In my case, the #8 injector was very difficult to remove, this is the one that failed. Got the replacement from Atlantic British-worked beautifully. Theoretically the injectors will last many, many miles...however when removing them, one must be very careful to keep things clean, in order for reassembly, and take into consideration potential damage from removal. If you're having LR do the work, they will replace them with new- it's the easiest thing to do. If you choose not to replace the injector, you still must replace the seals (seal kit is about $21 per injector and bosch tools another $50-60) so you're in for $200+ no matter what- for a couple hundred bucks more you can put in new injectors.

If I had to do it over again, I would go this route. As an aside, Land Rover Brentwood TN is where I get some of my parts via online. They're cheaper on somethings vs AB- so you may want to check them out.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just completed replacement of the timing chain, etc on my 2011 LR4, 115K miles. I did the work myself and truck runs and sounds like new. With that said, there are a few things that I can pass along regarding the injectors.
There are two methods for replacing the faulty tensioners and guides 1) replacing only the tensioners and guides - there is a procedure on Topix that outlines how to do it, but it can be tricky to keep the engine from jumping timing, however the valve covers / injectors are not removed. 2) full out replacing the the timing chain, crankshaft sprocket, tensioners, guides, gaskets, etc, The later is a better longterm fix but more expensive and yes requires addressing the injectors. I did option 2 as my timing chain was indeed a stretched. While the injectors are a solid piece of kit, they can take a beating upon removal using the Land Rover Injector tool. In my case, the #8 injector was very difficult to remove, this is the one that failed. Got the replacement from Atlantic British-worked beautifully. Theoretically the injectors will last many, many miles...however when removing them, one must be very careful to keep things clean, in order for reassembly, and take into consideration potential damage from removal. If you're having LR do the work, they will replace them with new- it's the easiest thing to do. If you choose not to replace the injector, you still must replace the seals (seal kit is about $21 per injector and bosch tools another $50-60) so you're in for $200+ no matter what- for a couple hundred bucks more you can put in new injectors.

If I had to do it over again, I would go this route. As an aside, Land Rover Brentwood TN is where I get some of my parts via online. They're cheaper on somethings vs AB- so you may want to check them out.

Lots of good insight here, thanks. Is it not alarming that this timing chain stretched beyond service limits in a little over 100k miles? Seems ridiculous to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV