5.0 Injector Lifespan? Worth replacing during Timing Chain job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrezo

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words- glad your LR4 is working great! I was a bit nervous to begin the project, however I spent quite a bit of time in preparation and planning- thankfully the execution was straight forward. Overall, my LR4 has been terrific and never given me a bit of trouble-I hope to get another 100K miles out of t!

This would make for an epic write up! Did you happen to take any pictures by chance?

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Thanks for all of the useful information.

I have a 2012 with about 80k miles on it and it has been rattling since about 50k but never to the point that I thought to have it fixed - sound is pretty similar to the video posted earlier. The LR4 has been a 'rock' and I hope to get many more miles out of it. The timing guide/chain issue will likely have to be dealt with before too long but without any real performance issues, it's a call on when to do it.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL and can empathize. A little knowledge can drive you nuts, like when you get a hangnail and go to WebMD and suddenly you start believing you have some rare painful terminal disease.

I have done this to myself plenty of times. Automotive Hypochondriasis.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replied several posting back about an injector cleaning service and basically got a negative reply stating that the posted injector service company only showed low pressure 3 BAR (43.5 psi) injector service.
Whoever that negative person was (I don't care), they are flat wrong.
That injector service company I suggested also service LR4's high pressure injectors.
http://cleaninginjector.com/california-fuel-injector-cleaning/
Give them a shout if you don't believe me in the high mileage with those "high pressures injectors ; 1-419-515-5514 in Ohio.
I bet that negative person never called the injector service company I posted, but instead a negative reply.
First off they check the flow amounts and spray patterns with your old dirty (8) injectors then record the results before they start their cleaning process. Current draw plus resistance ohms readings before testing dirty injectors.
After cleaning checking for proper spray pattern and not before they then record the flow numbers the complete set of 8 sent.
If they all flowed within a set standard tolerance you got lucky, plus they will also have for you a recorded printout with the final flow results.
Lets say for example 2 of 8 are below spec in spray in pattern or flow amounts, they would call you stating the problem which many shops already have spare already cleaned or new injectors for a complete a set of balanced 8 injectors.
Billing for cleaning your old 8 injectors plus a core charge for 2 replacement injectors as example would be added to your bill.
Reading Atlantic British's source of injectors, looked into their site they list a set of 8 at $899.95, $112.49 each before shipping or added tax if any????
SAME EXACT part numbers and injectors new on ebay, set of 8 at $578.32 or $72.29 each. Your money not mine.
I read about a "special slide hammer" for removing LR4 injectors a $125 to $165 listed price. Some "exotic tool?"
I don't know about you or anyone else that's way too expensive in my book.
Mill out a "C" shaped clip from 1/8" thick steel welded to a 18" long piece of 3/8" or 1/2" rod, with a slug of brass stock as the hammer, add that goofy offset shank if required like the video shows but why?
Weld a washer below the brass slug, one at the top or thread the rod and add a washer and nut for a simple DIY injector slide hammer removal / installation tool.
Same DIY tool for that "sizing" the lower injector seal near the bottom of the injector before installing injectors to heads.
Reading of $5,600 to $9,000 to have the timing chain with slippers and injectors replaced is stupid way overpriced in my book.
This is not a NASA space weather satellite or a highly complicated "exotic engine" is how I see it.
Even Mike Green owner West Coast British (Livermore Calif. 27 miles away from me) an "ex LR trained mechanic an independent LR mechanic for years had a good laugh about this injector and timing chain replacement LR forum.
My guess my mechanical ability must be a little above many LR owners on this forum. Licensed aircraft mechanic with a Brigeport mill, lathe, Tig and Mig welders as personal tools. Yes I build engines from scratch, many different years and parts mixed together for my intended results. Got to love push rod engines that run 200-300K trouble free miles.
.....~~=o&o>......

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever notice your posts invariably end up with you bragging or boasting about yourself? Yeah you are a wrench monkey with papers. Like 100 million people in India. Good for you.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess my mechanical ability must be a little above many LR owners on this forum. Licensed aircraft mechanic with a Brigeport mill, lathe, Tig and Mig welders as personal tools. Yes I build engines from scratch, many different years and parts mixed together for my intended results. Got to love push rod engines that run 200-300K trouble free miles.
.....~~=o&o>......

With those tools and experience, if you could not handle a timing change you would be a failure, IMO. BTW, very few people have a Bridgeport at home and know how to use it.

Ultimately, it's also time, having all the right instructions and knowing what to look for.

I design complex machinery and precision instruments for a living and can tell you that we sometimes have specific warnings to our service personnel not to touch certain things in the field. Invariably, some think they are handy and can just figure it it out and stick their hands where they should not and before you know it, we have to send out new equipment because it now requires a complete tare down and the customer isn't going to wait.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72