6 Months with LR4 - my observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, thanks for boiling it down. I remember that other thread very well. I came away from it the way I come away from a lively oil or tire thread..."Huh?" I'll just go with this recommendation the next time I tweak my bulbs.
+1! I posted a long-winded reply on the other thread. Great stuff. I'd love to do a proper bi-Xenon conversion on my 2010, but $40 for bulbs is more in my price range.

:oops:

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I saw them for between $5 - $11 each, but that sounds outlandish and I need to double-check that I was looking at the ones that would fit our LRs.
No, you are correct... some H9 bulbs are as low as $5-$6 online, usually plus an additional $5-$6 shipping each. Or $10-$15 each with free shipping. I was estimating a bit higher to be on the safe side. I need to email Dan Stern and see if he carries any good H9's.

Thomax

Reaction score
Awesome ryanjl! Appreciate it and will be upgrading in the next few weeks.

Karma up for you and as a bonus a soccer mom gave me--- err wait --- the LR4 the thumbs up at a light today!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thomax good recap! I agree with most of that.

On headlights, I have whatever comes standard in my 2013 HSE LUX, which I think are good. BUT, they still aren't as good as the ones I had in my 2005 LR3 HSE which steered with the wheel and seemed to generally light up an even larger area. I understand on the LR4 you can only get that feature with the surround camera option.

I've also been on my LR4 for I guess 11 months now. I've been incredible happy. It's the car I loved in the '05 version but with notable upgrades. Every time I get in it I notice, still, that the steering is much smoother. I've also appreciated the heated steering wheel this winter and overall improved seat heaters. The V8 sounds awesome and has plenty of power. The MPG doesn't seem any worse than what I had in my 2005. It's funny, I've driven with crappy MPG for so long that whenever I get a fuel efficient rental or loaner I'm amazed by how little gas I have to put in it. :laugh:

I would also concur that I don't see enough offroad enthusiasts driving these things. I'm also seeing a lot more Range Rovers and RR Sports in my area than I used to. LR is selling a lot of them. Seems to be more of those on the road than LR4/Discoverys.

Kbutler1

Reaction score
I've had my 2014 for 21 months and still love it although I wish it had the Heavy Duty package.
I give a little wave to other Discovery owners when I see them, get a wave back every once and a while.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20,000 km and 6 months in the LR club.

I love this thing! It is beautiful to drive in all conditions. I am experienced offvroader who now is middle-aged and lives in the city so I bought this to go do some of the territory just slower and not wreck anything while take pictures and tweet.

First big trip is planned!

Good:
- gas mileage not bad but I am coming from a full size crew cab.
- engine, transmission are work seamlessly and power adequate
- air suspension works very well
- love the square body and I think it is timeless

Meh:
- the electrical sometimes is... let's say English.... as in you need a stiff upper lip because sometimes weird things happen; like windows stop on occasion; everything seems to pause, collect itself and then work like the rear view camera. It is Sloooowwww as is any action in the sound and phone system.
- stereo good sound but nav is useless
- headlights suck
- I believe that 70 plus percent of LR4 are driven by soccer moms - cool but still an adjustment for a truck guy.

Wow
- dealers ers are knowledgeable in my area but very pricey and poncie except for a handful of enthusiasts - makes me worry for the brand in the long term. When you talk the off road game in all your marketing but they mostly look at you like you are on glue when you want to ask an all terrain tire question at the service department that is a problem. Yes I know the economics of it all but dang that defender re-do better stay aligned with history.
- did I say pricey ? when a service that is essentially an oil change and a few checks is quoted well north of $600 dollars - yikes.

None of you wave.

I believe I am very fortunate as my dealer has several teams that compete off-road and even has specially set up LR's for competition. They seem to understand what off-roading is all about. Also, an oil change here is about $160 and they do the complimentary check of all systems. The only time I saw anything close to $600 was with a brake flush, oil change and some other minor work.

pceresia

Reaction score
I've been waving to other LR4 drivers since I got my first one in 2010. The soccer moms are oblivious but the majority of the others don't seem to have a clue. Let's grow the practice

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been waving to other LR4 drivers since I got my first one in 2010. The soccer moms are oblivious but the majority of the others don't seem to have a clue. Let's grow the practice

There are so many late model LR/RRs where I live that no one considers them special. "LR Parking Rules" can be seen continuously throughout the day in the village center parking lot. A wave will only get you a perplexed look. However, whenever I see a Disco I/II or a Defender, I always wave and usually get a friendly response. The Old Guard of LR owners gets it.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still don't have my first LR4 but love the threads here. Thanks!

My grandpa was a goold old Texas Hill Country guy and taught me to wave to everyone. Some folks up in Michigan "get it" but most are oblivious or don't wave for whatever reason. Not many LR4's around here but I wave when I see one. Kindred spirit, or related to one, I figure. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA