6 Months with LR4 - my observations

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Thomax, Feb 9, 2018.

1. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

+1! I posted a long-winded reply on the other thread. Great stuff. I'd love to do a proper bi-Xenon conversion on my 2010, but $40 for bulbs is more in my price range.

:oops:

2. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

I thought I saw them for between $5 - $11 each, but that sounds outlandish and I need to double-check that I was looking at the ones that would fit our LRs.

3. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

No, you are correct... some H9 bulbs are as low as $5-$6 online, usually plus an additional $5-$6 shipping each. Or $10-$15 each with free shipping. I was estimating a bit higher to be on the safe side. I need to email Dan Stern and see if he carries any good H9's.

cperez likes this.
  4. Thomax

Thomax Member

Awesome ryanjl! Appreciate it and will be upgrading in the next few weeks.

Karma up for you and as a bonus a soccer mom gave me--- err wait --- the LR4 the thumbs up at a light today!

5. toddjb122

toddjb122 Full Access Member

@Thomax good recap! I agree with most of that.

On headlights, I have whatever comes standard in my 2013 HSE LUX, which I think are good. BUT, they still aren't as good as the ones I had in my 2005 LR3 HSE which steered with the wheel and seemed to generally light up an even larger area. I understand on the LR4 you can only get that feature with the surround camera option.

I've also been on my LR4 for I guess 11 months now. I've been incredible happy. It's the car I loved in the '05 version but with notable upgrades. Every time I get in it I notice, still, that the steering is much smoother. I've also appreciated the heated steering wheel this winter and overall improved seat heaters. The V8 sounds awesome and has plenty of power. The MPG doesn't seem any worse than what I had in my 2005. It's funny, I've driven with crappy MPG for so long that whenever I get a fuel efficient rental or loaner I'm amazed by how little gas I have to put in it. :laugh:

I would also concur that I don't see enough offroad enthusiasts driving these things. I'm also seeing a lot more Range Rovers and RR Sports in my area than I used to. LR is selling a lot of them. Seems to be more of those on the road than LR4/Discoverys.

6. Kbutler1

Kbutler1 Member

I've had my 2014 for 21 months and still love it although I wish it had the Heavy Duty package.
    I give a little wave to other Discovery owners when I see them, get a wave back every once and a while.

mrezo likes this.
  7. magnumforc

magnumforc Full Access Member

I believe I am very fortunate as my dealer has several teams that compete off-road and even has specially set up LR's for competition. They seem to understand what off-roading is all about. Also, an oil change here is about $160 and they do the complimentary check of all systems. The only time I saw anything close to $600 was with a brake flush, oil change and some other minor work.

8. pceresia

pceresia Member

I've been waving to other LR4 drivers since I got my first one in 2010. The soccer moms are oblivious but the majority of the others don't seem to have a clue. Let's grow the practice

9. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

There are so many late model LR/RRs where I live that no one considers them special. "LR Parking Rules" can be seen continuously throughout the day in the village center parking lot. A wave will only get you a perplexed look. However, whenever I see a Disco I/II or a Defender, I always wave and usually get a friendly response. The Old Guard of LR owners gets it.