8 Cylinder vs 6 Cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at possibly upgrading from my LR3 and was wondering how the vehicle changed from 2013 (8 cyl) to 2014+ (6 cyl)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lopped off two cylinders, added a supercharger. Added stop start tech (which also puts a tiny battery in the aux battery tray).

more gears in trans, no more 'stick' style shifter, went to the jag style rotary shifter. Made two speed xfer case optional.

new headlight design, grill design . (still same overall shape, just for looks, same bumpers fit for aftermarket, arb, etc)

New side mirrors with indicator lights on them, no longer have side marker lights on the front quarter panels.

Came with side steps, similar to past design, but with more metal in them for 'safety' somehow. You can remove them despite what dealers say.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2011 was great for us, naturally aspirated is a plus in my opinion. But look which years have which potential problems. 10-12 timing chain guides may be an issue. Trying not to be shameless but check out my listing in the classified section if your in southern California.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the 2014. Though the SCV6/8-speed was OK, in hindsight I would have appreciated the 400+ vs 340 torque. That was quite a drop though people will claim that the SC helped me at altitude (Denver). Maybe. 8-speed was good but the paddle shifters drove me nuts when going off road (lots of cornering while also changing gears in S-mode). The 2014 model steps could be removed and replaced with true sliders. I did that and was very pleased. 2015+ they made the steps into a safety thing. Much stronger and warnings not to remove. But I think you may still be able to. At least the 2016, if not the 2015, offered adaptive cruise which would have been nice.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from the LR3, you will be happy with either engine. In my case we first replaced our LR3 with a new 2013 LR4. I liked the LR4 so much that in 2015 I decided to replace my Audi allroad with an LR4. SCV6 wasn't for me so I found a used 2013 with 13K miles on it. But again, if you never owned a V8 LR4, the SCV6 will be fine.

As noted above, be aware that after 2014 you need the heavy duty package to get a 2-speed transfer case. And as you have probably read, if you like your LR3, you won't like the new D5. So find a nice low mileage LR4 Landmark edition and plan to keep it a long time.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with all good comments above. I want to add that my 2015 LR4 was my first LR product and the SCV6 has been more than adequate for my needs; since I haven't driven or been in an LR4 with V8 I don't think I'm missing anything :)

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be happy either way. HOWEVER --- BUYER BEWARE --- If you get a '14+ make sure you get it with the HD package as that is the only one available with the twin speed gear box. Plus the rear locking diff is a must in my opinion.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the input - how is it finding good off road 19" tires? Also, I've heard both yes and no about fitting 18" rims . . . something to do with the brake calipers . . .

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the input - how is it finding good off road 19" tires? Also, I've heard both yes and no about fitting 18" rims . . . something to do with the brake calipers . . .

Plenty of posts about both but I opted for the goodyear duratracs on my 19s. As long as you are not worried about load rating I would say they are the best off road tires available for the 19s. If you go 18s you'll need spacers or you'll need to get a rim that has enough offset to fit the larger calipers such as the compos. I mostly offroad in mud/ruts/clay/sand/gravel and occasionally some mild rocky terrain...but rarely go on aggressive rock trails which would warrant more sidewall for my usage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi