8 Cylinder vs 6 Cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the biggest mistake LR made in their quest to get 1 mpg on paper...Now they are pushing 0W oils! There is another .1 mpg!

viper_iii

Reaction score
MrKon,

The old sandrail, errr LR3 still running?

I'm remembering an expensive cleanup in shifter and sunroof rails!!!!

-------

Personally agree with the V8 side...

The v6 works and it also "worked" fine in the LR3 without SC.

The 14 and newer though are pretty nice interior wise... Shifter not loving it...
Thought I would - didn't

HD used are not easy to locate in scv6.

Tires bought 255/55/19 atturo mtr trail blade... Very meaty and fits the 19... Little noisy on the road but, I'm fine with it.

--------
What is the tow rating on the SCV6. Would expect around 5k?

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
MrKon,

The old sandrail, errr LR3 still running?

I'm remembering an expensive cleanup in shifter and sunroof rails!!!!

-------

Personally agree with the V8 side...

The v6 works and it also "worked" fine in the LR3 without SC.

The 14 and newer though are pretty nice interior wise... Shifter not loving it...
Thought I would - didn't

HD used are not easy to locate in scv6.

Tires bought 255/55/19 atturo mtr trail blade... Very meaty and fits the 19... Little noisy on the road but, I'm fine with it.

--------
What is the tow rating on the SCV6. Would expect around 5k?

Tow rating is roughly 7700lbs on our 16 IIRC.

viper_iii

Reaction score
cool tow rating stayed same then...

had to dig up pics - Kon had me thinking of that trip.

ODSVRA_2010-111.JPG

ODSVRA-Kon-2010-016.gif

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from the LR3, you will be happy with either engine. In my case we first replaced our LR3 with a new 2013 LR4. I liked the LR4 so much that in 2015 I decided to replace my Audi allroad with an LR4. SCV6 wasn't for me so I found a used 2013 with 13K miles on it. But again, if you never owned a V8 LR4, the SCV6 will be fine.

PaulLR3, how was the transition from stick to the rotary/paddle shift combo for off roading?

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SCV6 guy here...

If you're not off roading much then the HD package or a V8 may not be necessary. The HD package may prove difficult to find anyhow. I recently took mine to the back country in the Eastern Sierra along with others who were driving heavily modified Jeeps, some on 37's. Over the radio I heard them say they're putting their rigs into 4 wheel low, I was plugging away in high gear and it wasn't breaking a sweat, granted we were scaling large boulders. It did great.

Good luck!

Waterndirt, how does the gear shifting with paddles feel off road??

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a 2005 LR3 with 4.4 V8 for 250,000 miles and then moved to a 2014 LR4 with the supercharged V6. I'm now at 77K miles on it. If that is the move you're considering, you'll miss very little. In fact, I like the SCV6 setup more. I did order mine with the HD package to get the two-speed box which I used often off-road on the LR3 and couldn't imagine not having on my new LR4. The only real downside I've experienced is the start/stop system. They call it "intelligent" but mine regularly frustrated me and was subsequently disabled. Good luck to you.

Jomcool - I'm looking for feedback from folks that went from the stick to the rotary/paddle gear selector - especially when off-roading . . .

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jomcool - I'm looking for feedback from folks that went from the stick to the rotary/paddle gear selector - especially when off-roading . . .

FYI, You can interchange them. You can add the paddle shifts to an old steering wheel...You can also change out the center area and put the old shift knob setup on a newer LR4 (seems like that is the bigger PIA though)

PowerfulUK has done both. They are fairly responsive if you email them. Below is one of their videos on adding the paddle shifters to the old LR4

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV