95 Disco Starting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95LandoDisco

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time post and would appreciate some insight. I bought a 95 Disco for $500 in need of major TLC. Now I'm stumped with either an ignition or fuel issue. Here's what I have done so far:

1. Replaced front diff
2. Rebuilt both front axles and brakes
3. Replaced lower radiator hose and oil pan gasket since front diff was off
4. Replaced thermostat, battery, oil, and oil/fuel/air filter
5. New coil, rotor, distributor, wires and sparks. Timing was reset to OEM by a Rover mechanic because it wouldn't start after I made the changes
6. Just replaced center and back mufflers yesterday. Old ones were rusted and seemed clogged.

After installing the new mufflers, I started the truck and let it idle. The engine idled perfectly and sounded like it could drive around the world. No knocks, no idle variance, just pure glorious engine purr!!

Drove the truck around the neighborhood for about 5 minutes and started hearing a knocking sound. Pulled into my driveway and let it idle so I could locate the knocking sound. After about 3 minutes of knocking at idle the truck shuts off. It was almost like someone turned it off with the key. I tried to restart and now it just cranks over.

I did research on the forums. Thought it might be the crankshaft sensor but this model doesn't have one. Any suggestions?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you find the source of the Knocking? Was it engine Ping or engine Knock?

95LandoDisco

Reaction score
Turns out the ignition control unit and coil failed at the same time... Local Bosch guy installed both with a 3 year warranty as I have had enough with the ignition issue! Starts like a champ now!

I haven't found the source of the knocking but suspect it's bad cats (getting major rattle) and sludge buildup in the motor. No overheating issues or check engine lights so it has to be an oil thing. Cleaned MAF to rule out that sensor. Switching to higher octane gas and premium sparks just to be sure.

New cats on order and going to engine flush and dump oil. Also getting the a new fuel tank thanks to the recall.

Will post an update soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV