Advice for new owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O

overover

I'm looking at a 01 D2 SE7 with 38K this weekend and hopefully will be taking it home with me. If heard that rovers tend to have some reliability issues, that is outweighed by my love of the car though. Could some of the expert’s point me in the right direction for things to look for in test drive and walk through? Is the extended warranty worth it? It has 7 months and 12K left on the factory warranty.

C

Cozmo

If you can get a hold of service records it would be good to know when the brake pads were changed last. They tend to last for between 25-30k miles. Also the front driveshaft is a weak spot. If it goes out it can takeout the transfer case. The factory warranty is great depending on the dealership. Its up to them cover something or not. Don't be afraid to shop around for service. I assume there are a few LR dealerships in the D.C. area.

D

discomike

Nick,
With only 38K on it and some warranty left you really can't go wrong. Do you know if it had any options? Like ACE or SLS. Some came with a cold climate package which you might like do to where you live, nothing like butt warmers on a cold day.
Yes you want an extended warranty and it would be wise to shop around on the prices.
The dealer should be able to sell you an extended factory warranty, I would push towards the 100,000 mile version. There are also a couple of companies that sell aftermarket warrantys which is what I purchased and it has already paid for itself.
Get back to me if you have any questions.
Mike J.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mike. On my 2000 Discovery I was able to get the dealer to throw in the 100,000 mile extended warranty (fully transferable, of course). I actually used it some. When I sold that Discovery back to the dealership, I received a refund from Land Rover North America, for the unused portion of my extended warranty. And since it was fully transferable, I could have used that as a selling point had I decided to sell it to another individual.

Warranties can be great things!

O

overover

Thanks

Thanks for all the advise, Im definitely going to be getting an extended warranty. Please let me know if you think of anything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72