Air Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched but most of the posts were on the older side. Is this still a favorite for those that have to air down the spare and that want it to sit under the seats?

https://amzn.to/2HM1rfm

thanks

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, I seem to remember seeing this post in the epic tire thread but couldn't dig it out with a search.

Does it have or can you add the ability to set a psi for the tire so it stops when it reaches that pressure?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Viair 400P now, great little unit as well. It actually inflates tires faster than the 450P, although it's got a shorter duty cycle (20 minutes, which is still plenty of time to air my 4 oversized tires back up.) For years I had the same unit as the one Ryan linked above (it goes under a couple of different names, the Masterflow Tsunami MF-1050 is the same exact model and right now seems a little cheaper on Amazon), and had no complaints either, especially for that price. The MV50 was also considerably smaller than the Viair, so marginally easier to stow under the folded 3rd row seats - where the compressor resides at all times in my car. The Viair fits as well, but not in the storage bag it came in. Eventually the compressor motor of the MV50 gave up, so I "upgraded" to the Viair. Neither the MV50/MF-1050, nor the Viairs have the ability to stop inflating a tire automatically when a certain pressure is reached - I don't know which compressor does in this price range, maybe the ARB unit? I don't mind sitting by each tire for a couple of minutes watching the gauge rise, anyway.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unrelated, but why are some words in my posts hyperlinked to external sites, without me linking them? FWIW, if that's a new advertising "thing" introduced by the owners of this forum, I don't like it at all. It's confusing at best.

Last edited:

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Viair 400P now, great little unit as well. It actually inflates tires faster than the 450P, although it's got a shorter duty cycle (20 minutes, which is still plenty of time to air my 4 oversized tires back up.) For years I had the same unit as the one Ryan linked above (it goes under a couple of different names, the Masterflow Tsunami MF-1050 is the same exact model and right now seems a little cheaper on Amazon), and had no complaints either, especially for that price. The MV50 was also considerably smaller than the Viair, so marginally easier to stow under the folded 3rd row seats - where the compressor resides at all times in my car. The Viair fits as well, but not in the storage bag it came in. Eventually the compressor motor of the MV50 gave up, so I "upgraded" to the Viair. Neither the MV50/MF-1050, nor the Viairs have the ability to stop inflating a tire automatically when a certain pressure is reached - I don't know which compressor does in this price range, maybe the ARB unit? I don't mind sitting by each tire for a couple of minutes watching the gauge rise, anyway.

I'm of the same thought. If I could add something inexpensive to the end I'd do it, but don't really mind checking the gauge either. I think the MV50 might be the right route for now.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unrelated, but why are some words in my posts hyperlinked to external sites, without me linking them? FWIW, if that's a new advertising "thing" introduced by the owners of this forum, I don't like it at all. It's confusing at best.

I agree because when it is hyperlinked, I would assume the poster is linking to the site they purchased the item and/or the site with the best pricing....

Considering both of your auto-linked items are to Amazon, I would guess this is just another step in their quest to take over the world....

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually linked those two myself. About an hour ago, the words "seats" and "compressor" were also hyperlinked in my post (as well as in others using the same words) and taking you to an Amazon directory of random seats and compressors, but now the hyperlink is gone... Hopefully it was just a temporary hiccup and not a sign of things to come.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Viair 450p. Works like a champ. I don't keep it under the seat because its always so hot when I'm done using it. I typically leave it in the open bag to cool off, then secure the bag to the tie down loops in the cargo area when not in use. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes to air up 4 tires from about 20 - 25 psi.

The auto cut off seems like it could be as simple as plumbing in a ¼" tee and this variable cut off valve? Won't turn the unit off but you'd hear it...

https://www.mcmaster.com/#50265k23/=1dae9z1

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why are some words in my posts hyperlinked to external sites, without me linking them?

I've noticed this for some time now. At first I wondered "why is this poster linking out to so many rando terms?" but then realized it had to be happening on the back end without the poster's knowledge.

Agreed that it's irritating and confusing. I suppose every little bit helps when you're trying to monetize a free forum like this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut