Alarm going off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teamfalcon

Reaction score
i've been having all of these symptoms recently, ie alarm going off and hood open message. unplugging the sensor, sticking a small piece of foil on the sensor, and plugging it back in worked like a charm. thanks for the pics teamfalcon!

Oh yeah!!!! Glad it helped!

PhilSessions

Reaction score
Yes You guys are bloody awesome! After I looked down at the message center today on my way home from work I noticed the "open bonnet" message. I thought what the hell is that on for? And of course I shut the rig down get out and hit the lock button and the horn sounds. So I ran inside and within a few moments found this post, grabbed some foil and popped the hood and slapped a piece of foil onto the female end of the sensor and plugged it in and shut the hood and locked the car and heard the same horn sound! So I put another piece of foil in there and presto, FIXED. Thanks everyone.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad we could help...

It's about the easiest fix that can be done on a Landy... or any car for that matter...

This is a great forum, I have learned all kinds of tips and tricks on here...

Everyone keep up the good work...

Hueychief

Reaction score
I also noticed on my Sport that when the alarm would go off randomly you would get 7 flashing lights when depressing the unlock on the keyfob to silence it. Normally you only get 1 flash of lights when everything is working properly.
Disabled the hood switch and all is well.
New switch installed, 2nd one now in 4 years, and problem solved.

Diesel101

Reaction score
just replaced my sensor for 26.00 at the dealer and they showed me how to do it.

Peter Fox

Reaction score
Can someone tell me where the bonnet switch is located, what it looks like.thanks
Peter

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
open bonnet alarm switch location

Item 9 on the sketch on page 1 of the 17 page pdf shows the location of the bonnet alarm switch and hold down assembly. See also pages 8 and 9 re Hood Ajar Switch. Removal of the right hand side headlight assembly may make removal and replacement of the switch easier.

http://bit.ly/19M1Xbl

rhigham

Reaction score
Alarm Codes

Is there a way (other than the dealer who wants $150.00) to see what sensor is triggering the alarm? Replaced the bonnet switch, it could be bad, but wondering if there is any other solution to the problem? A non hawk eye scanner?

Thanks

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No scanner needed, just 4 inches of wire.

I presume you are correct in that the problem is most likely the bonnet switch. The problem is common and replacing the switch is the most easy solution providing that is the problem.

The bonnet switch is located on the right hand front corner bonnet latch which you probably already know. There is an electrical connector attached to the switch; the latch on the left side, no electrical connector.

The electrical connector feeds back to the alarm system. The link just below is to a pdf explaining the alarm system. See page 9 of 17 re the bonnet switch.

http://bit.ly/1a1x5ni

This link is to a number of files within my alarm album which you may find of interest as well.

http://bit.ly/147Vmma

To determine if the switch is the problem, disconnect the connector from the switch.

Leaving the bonnet open, attempt to lock the vehicle. I expect the horn will beep as when a door is not properly closed.

Then with a short piece of insulated sheathed stranded electrical wire, jump the two pins in the connector attached to the vehicle harness. Now this time I expect the vehicle will lock and with no horn sound.

If so, then the problem is probably the bonnet switch.

Incidentally, if you read page 9 of 17 re the bonnet switch, you will realize I have the above instructions reversed to what page 9 indicates. I think the page 9 explanation is wrong and I am right but regardless, disconnecting first and the secondly jumping the wires will tell a story.

I am pretty certain I am correct re jumping the wires will make the system think the bonnet is shut, if not then no jumper and as follows. Drive around for a few days and see if the problem continues. If not, then the switch requires replacement, a do it yourself task.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72