Alarm going off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... If not he hood then the easiest thing to do is to have a shop scan the last alarms triggers. I think it stores the last 10 or 15 triggers so one can see a pattern.
Thanks.

Well, since it was the hood last time, I'll my debug there. Last night I took the switch out and sprayed everything with dry lube (mentioned somewhere in this thread). I also slightly opened up the Open-C spring just in case the switch is only barely being depressed. I thought perhaps as it sits that contact opens and closes, perhaps I'm only noticing it now with cooler temps setting in. Everything else is pretty simple and the switch is brand new. So we'll see.

I think if it's the switch I'll just make the paperclip "fix" permanent. I think the risk of someone breaking into my 2005 to steal engine components or otherwise gain access to the vehicle is minimum.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, none of that worked.
Came out to my car at lunch and found that the alarm had gone off (lights flashed several times upon unlock)
Then when I got in the car I had a "bonnet open" message.

Think I just got another bad switch or is there something in the latch itself that could have worn and may not be pressing on the spring?

Anyway, I inserted the paperclip and everything is fine. But it'd be nice to have it working, if anything, just to keep me from driving off some time with a hood that isnn't shut all the way...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I have not yet had any problem with my bonnet alarm sensor, hence do not know much about it.

In reading the bonnet switch install instructions below, it appears that there is no mounting adjustment re the switch but there is for the latch.

Maybe if you just fool around with the latch location a bit, the bonnet will still properly close but the switch will be happier. It has to be something simple like the U of the upper latch is not touching the switch quite enough.

Hood Switch

Removal

1 . Disconnect the battery ground cable.
2 . Release the RH hood latch. Remove the 2 Torx bolts. Disconnect the electrical connector.
3 . Remove the hood switch.

Installation

1 . Install the hood switch.

2 . Install the RH hood latch. Connect the electrical connector. Tighten the Torx bolts to 10 Nm (7 lb.ft).

3 . Open and close the hood to check the hood latch operation.

4 . Adjust the hood latch.
Loosen the 2 hood latch Torx bolts.
Lower the hood and check for alignment.
Open the hood and tighten the Torx bolts to 10 Nm (7 lb.ft).
Check for the correct operation of the hood safety catch.
If necessary, repeat the above adjustment procedure.

Your concern re driving with the hood unlatched is a valid one. The three latches are not there just so LR can spend money. The aluminum bonnet is not strong like a steel one and can hence bend back at speed on a loose side if the two front corners are not held down.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Okay, I'll peek at that.
The switch is just a snap on/off piece. So it is different than the instructions above.
The latch metal looked all pretty basic and fixed but I suppose there must be some alignment options so I'll see if they can be adjusted. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Looking over this thread and I have a similar issue, but it's related to the Front and Rear Doors. My 2010 LR4 is giving me a warning issue displayed on the dash next to the odometer. It states that the "rear door" or "front passenger door" is open... I have forcefully shut the door maybe times and that will work to turn off the warning light about 50% of the time. I believe that my issue is a sensor related issue as well and this is the only thread that I have found on this site that's somewhat closely related. I may end up creating a new thread specific to my problems, but thought i would start here.

Thanks for any advice!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRAP! This problem has resurfaced....

A year ago after a new hood latch switch did not solve the problem, I implemented the paper clip hack :) and my alarm problem went away.

Now, with less frequency, my alarm is going off again. :mad: I don't see any "bonnet open" messages on my display. I also checked the paperclip and it is still firmly in place. I did wiggle it a bit to make sure there isn't any corrosion.

Is there any other way to figure out what is setting off the alarm?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
squirt something into the door latchs

I read on another thread that a guy had isolated a similar problem - alarm goes off, but no warning message on the display, to a presumed problem with the door ajar switch within the drivers door lock assembly.

He squirted CRC, whatever that is, into the latch mechanism and that seemed to resolve the alarm system going off problem.

I assume the CRC is some sort of WD-40 fluid that he used - worth a try and it costs nothing and should do no harm.

Re the bonnet switch, I am inclined to think a wiring or connector concern that I presume the paperclip just shorted out. If so, perhaps the problem, whatever it was, has grown to jump the paperclip fix.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read on another thread that a guy had isolated a similar problem - alarm goes off, but no warning message on the display, to a presumed problem with the door ajar switch within the drivers door lock assembly.

He squirted CRC, whatever that is, into the latch mechanism and that seemed to resolve the alarm system going off problem.

I assume the CRC is some sort of WD-40 fluid that he used - worth a try and it costs nothing and should do no harm.

Re the bonnet switch, I am inclined to think a wiring or connector concern that I presume the paperclip just shorted out. If so, perhaps the problem, whatever it was, has grown to jump the paperclip fix.
Thanks, I'll try lubing those latch mechanisms.

No idea if my paperclip is failing on me! I can afford a new one... :smile:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the fault is the start of a trend?

Let us know how this turns out.

If lubrication works, that is good news as I tend to think this no message door ajar switch? malfunction fault could be something we will see more of over time.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how this turns out.

If lubrication works, that is good news as I tend to think this no message door ajar switch? malfunction fault could be something we will see more of over time.

It's been two weeks since I hit all the door latches with WD-40 and no alarms yet.

I'm not sure if it is "fixed" though as my car is usually kept unlocked in a garage. So the only way I know if it goes off is if I unlock my car after work and get multiple light flashes instead of one (it does this to indicate your alarm has gone off while you were away)

But, so far so good...

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slack