Android integrated with factory screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ordered this system too for my 2012 LR4. The vendor confirmed it works with my headunit. I will report back when I have installed it. I would be interested in any DIY's for the LR4 installation, as the installation manual included is for the Evoque.
Please do. I have the same year and will be interested to here your results!

equilibrium

Reaction score
I've ordered this system too for my 2012 LR4. The vendor confirmed it works with my headunit. I will report back when I have installed it. I would be interested in any DIY's for the LR4 installation, as the installation manual included is for the Evoque.

Check this video for dash trim removal.

If you have any question and need further details I will be glad to help you.

Last edited:

equilibrium

Reaction score
You said in your initial message that sometimes it gets stuck. What does it usually take to get it "unstuck"?

Usually the system restarts by itself within a couple of minutes. Also I kept the unit power connection where I can reach it so I can just disconnect & connect it to force restart. I am planning to add a switch to make this easier even though the system is behaving better now and did not stuck recently. May be I had initially installed an application that caused this issue.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The return policy is pretty expensive on these units, so you'd want to make sure it is going to work. Will be good to see further reviews.
You're not kidding. It's awful.
You have 7 days to install it when they will take it back. So you have to be ready to hit the ground running as soon as you get it. After 7 days they don't take it back. And after a month, they don't take it back even if you didn't install it. Big restocking debits within 30 days as well.

That is all very skeptical to me. I will be surprised if this works as expected. If it is a quality product in operation, interface and longevity they'd take it back whenever. They accept it for repairs for the first 12 months, pending evaluation.

I am confused on what the $300 AU add-on is for camera module. Do you need that if you have a camera or if you want to add a camera?

Does it just MIRROR your phone display or can you touch the screen have it control your phone?
Because if it is display only, well, what's the point? You might as well just have your phone in a holder if you will need to hit the map buttons on the phone display.

All that said, if it goes well and allows you to control the iPhone from the NAV screen, I'll be interested to purchase. It's a cool product and I like that someone went through the effort of designing a non-destructive product to improve the infotainment system functionality.

equilibrium

Reaction score
You're not kidding. It's awful.
You have 7 days to install it when they will take it back. So you have to be ready to hit the ground running as soon as you get it. After 7 days they don't take it back. And after a month, they don't take it back even if you didn't install it. Big restocking debits within 30 days as well.

That is all very skeptical to me. I will be surprised if this works as expected. If it is a quality product in operation, interface and longevity they'd take it back whenever. They accept it for repairs for the first 12 months, pending evaluation.

I am confused on what the $300 AU add-on is for camera module. Do you need that if you have a camera or if you want to add a camera?

Does it just MIRROR your phone display or can you touch the screen have it control your phone?
Because if it is display only, well, what's the point? You might as well just have your phone in a holder if you will need to hit the map buttons on the phone display.

All that said, if it goes well and allows you to control the iPhone from the NAV screen, I'll be interested to purchase. It's a cool product and I like that someone went through the effort of designing a non-destructive product to improve the infotainment system functionality.

If you already have the camera you do not need the camera add-on.

What I installed is a stand alone android system and u do not need to connect your phone to get it working. You can control it through the touchscreen. They have a mirroring unit but I have no idea how it is working.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how this behaves in relation to the rest of the factory stuff in real time - when you switch over to your Android device interface does everything else go away? I'm assuming that's the case.

Specific examples - with a factory system that has nav I can be driving along with my music playing and need to switch to nav. When I switch over to nav the music is still playing out of the speakers while I put in the destination or just view the map. When the voice directions come along they soften the music, then the music comes back. I'm assuming with this setup that once you switch over to what is essentially a different system the audio system, backup camera, etc no longer play along or interrupt as needed. Is that true?

Another example - if I get a phone call while looking at the factory nav the screen jumps back to the phone, quiets the music and nav stuff, and takes over the speakers and mic. I'm guessing that functionality would go away as well, but would like to know for sure.

l know English is your second language so if what I'm asking makes no sense let me know and I'll try to describe it batter.

As far as I can tell from your descriptions and looking at the product it looks like you essentially have two completely separate systems - use the factory stuff or switch over to the android system and use that. It doesn't look like the two systems really combine other than sharing a screen.

It still looks really cool, but it seems like a lot of built-in functionality will be lost when using the new stuff - new stuff can replace lots of it, but you end up with two worlds in one place. Kind of like having two completely separate virtual machines on one host, for the computer folk among us. I hope I'm wrong at ~$1k USD, but as far as I can tell at this point that's what it is.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you already have the camera you do not need the camera add-on.

What I installed is a stand alone android system and u do not need to connect your phone to get it working. You can control it through the touchscreen. They have a mirroring unit but I have no idea how it is working.
Thanks. I forgot or missed that point. The mirroring is just a bonus (and IMO not worth the trouble) but the integrated android system is what gives you tablet functionality.

@BrandonM7 - the way I read it, it just just switches between the display and maybe the audio. There was some talk on the web page of it still switching over when the backup camera enables, I think.

So, the OEM system is still running along all the time in the background, it has no idea that nobody is watching it's display. It's still ON though. Good question on the audio, though.

Maybe we can find more info on a UK or AU forum. Doesn't seem like anyone here had installed it yet and can answer the usability questions. They should give one to someone here for marketing. If it actually works well once installed, they'd sell a dozen of them right after someone posts a detailed blog on the install and use.

I'm skeptical until told otherwise. Their website missed some key details, has an awful return/support policy, and even their youtube video is crafted to mostly show stills with minimal video. It's like they don't want you to see the actual process of using it. :hmmmm:

equilibrium

Reaction score
Nothing will be lost from the factory stuff. Backup camera & phone calls behavior will remain as it is even if the screen is switched to the android system.
So if you are on the android screen and you receive a call the system will switch to the phone screen immediately. Same case if you shift to reverse the camera will turn on.

The two systems are really integrated and not isolated as you think.
For example, if you are on the android system and you change the volume, the volume gage popup will come over the android system without switching back to the factory screen.

The only thing that is not integrated is the audio from the android unit where you need to connect it through aux input or stream it using Bluetooth. The issue here is u need to toggle between the audio source if you want to listen to the radio or audio from the CD player. Who cares? I do not listen to the radio and I can download anything in the android system. So I keep the audio source on BT all the time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA