anyone running 285/55/19?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ed1655

Reaction score
ed...one more thing that has been an on-doing debate with no "science experiment" to back it up: if you carry the OEM spare and get a flat, you may be f*cked if you have to use it. Having one tire smaller than the other 3 may cause the LR3 to have a TC/DSC hissy-fit!

I always meant to test it out, but never did. Wound up buying a 5th 275/65R18 tire and put it on an X5 rim for a spare! Got 'em both for $100!!! I have an HSE but run the 18s when offroad with MT/Rs mounted. ...so I just throw the aforementioned used BFG long-trail tire on an X5 rim in the back when I go! No need to fit it underneath for one day.

...but long story short no one knows what will happen with 3 31.5" (or bigger) tires and one 30" (OEM sized) tire.

that certainly makes sense, but isn't there a way to turn the dsc off?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different size spares generally present mechanical problems with differentials and such on all full time four wheel drive vehicles. Turning the dsc off might save the electronics, but you are still straining the mechanics. Personally, I might try to limp home a few miles on a different size spare. But the cost of the correct size tire is cheap insurance against a much more expensive problem.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...plus the TC can not be turned off.

Roverman is right on...if you had to, you could....but it shouldn't be Plan A. I ventured off-road a few times with a non-legit spare, but within a few months I'd found my X5 rim and 32" tire. If you are going to run these full time on the 19" rim, the solution is much simpler. Buy 5 tires, mount one on the spare, carry it (deflated) in the provided space...and keep a can of fix-a-flat in the boot, assuming it will at the precious few psi that you'd need. Anyone know?

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looks like that is actually the Yokohama AVS S/T.

Doesnt look like the 19" size is made anymore, and it's a summer only tire. So it wouldnt quite work for me, as I live in the North East.

Not sure what the load range or speed index on the 19" is either, as it doesnt seem to be listed anywhere.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+S/T

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 275/55/19's and there are two problems that I think you will encounter with 285/55/19. First, a full size spare will not fit under the vehicle. In order to fit the 275/55/19, it needs to be deflated to about 15 pounds and even then needs some wiggling and kicking to fit. Second problem is that you will just about turn the LR 3 six speed auto into a five speed as it will rarely shift into top gear with the loss of gearing. You will never see 6th gear if you switch to sport mode or pull a trailer.

I think the tire will fit the rim and the wheel wells but consider the other issues before you commit.
Most of the off road folks run 285/60/18s (myself included) which are slightly larger than the 285/55/19s under consideration on this thread. We do have to deflate the spare, not a problem, since we have onboard air, but it gets into the spare well under the rear without any problems, just a little coaxing.

I agree with the other threads recommending a full size spare. BTW.

I haven't noticed the gearing issue at all. I'll double check the next time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA