Asfir 4x4 sump guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPS delivered this kit yesterday, nice chunk of aluminum (2 chunks actually, as you can see.) May have the front piece painted flat black before putting it on. I also received a whole bunch of screws that supposedly mount the plates on fixings already available on the car, plus a couple of "mystery" spacers, I guess I'll figure them out when I am under the car in a few days. :confused: The kit comes with a diagram that shows how the various parts bolt together, but no fitting instructions.

asfir-1.jpg

asfir-2.jpg

asfir-3.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Can't see the photos. I wish GN Vehicle Protection still made the sump guard (there is where I got mine) as they were awesome!

I am very curious about the Asfir guard!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what was the research that led you to this? I want to get something, but not sure what yet. How is this compared to the LR/Mantec sump guard?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We should really start a sticky thread that has pictures/links/reviews for all and any type of underbody protection...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what was the research that led you to this? I want to get something, but not sure what yet. How is this compared to the LR/Mantec sump guard?

For one, it's about half the price of the aluminum OEM guard made by Mantec (which looks to be of equally high quality otherwise), with my local LR club discount I paid less than 400 bucks through a local Asfir dealer. :cool:

Rock sliders are more useful in my experience, if I was getting just one piece of underbody armor for my car those would be on top of my list. I am buying them from a local manufacturer (Tactical 4X4, formerly Tactical Rovers), they are steel with small and non-obnoxious nerf bars, and extend well under the car to also completely protect EAS air tank and compressor, which are in grave danger under the car when you go wheeling, especially rock crawling... While I am at it, I am also getting their gas tank plate. I never perforated the fuel tank of my Sport, but I did bang it up pretty good (and I know some owners who did perforate it over sharp rocks.)

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that - looks well made and has some real protection. My sump guard from GN Vehicle protection is similar, just thicker and crazy strong. The price was great as well, but they no longer make sump guards for the LR4/Discovery 4.

When I trade in my truck, I will take off whatever accessories I can, but planning to leave my Voyager half-rack (I want to replace with a full Baja Rack) and head and tail lamp protectors. I am hoping to put my sump plate and rock slider/steps on the new one and just switch the body molding (if the dealership is OK with it). If I end up leaving these items, then I want to go with the sump plate you bought. Also, I'd be interested in the gas tank plate.

Have you thought about the air compressor protector??? That unit sits so darn low - that's my biggest worry!!!

-David

See below for my sump plate (PS - I got my black matte lettering and will change it out soon!!!):

IMG_1457_zps5cee2169.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about the air compressor protector??? That unit sits so darn low - that's my biggest worry!!!

As mentioned, the Tactical 4x4 rock sliders extend far under the car and fully enclose EAS compressor and reservoir. The lower acoustic cover for the compressor, which creates that bulge hanging low under the car, will need to come off to install the sliders, but the sound insulation will be removed from the plastic shell and applied between compressor body and sliders, so I don't expect the air pump to run much noisier despite the removal of its lower cover. And even if it is a bit noisier, the thought of if being protected by a thick steel plate rather than a flimsy plastic cover will make the extra noise quite bearable...

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, the Tactical 4x4 rock sliders extend far under the car and fully enclose EAS compressor and reservoir. The lower acoustic cover for the compressor, which creates that bulge hanging low under the car, will need to come off to install the sliders, but the sound insulation will be removed from the plastic shell and applied between compressor body and sliders, so I don't expect the air pump to run much noisier despite the removal of its lower cover. And even if it is a bit noisier, the thought of if being protected by a thick steel plate rather than a flimsy plastic cover will make the extra noise quite bearable...
Ah, yes! Thanks for clarifying. I did not realize that until I looked into it a bit more. I really like that level of protection!

Thanks again.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also just received my asfir skid plates. I got the entire kit including air tank plates and rear diff. Can't wait to install it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV