At a Complete loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Inchdagrinch

Reaction score
Hi all.
My 1999 disco 2 will not start she cranks and cranks but wont go. I changed the glow plugs. Cleaned the engine ecu tested the ohms on the crank shaft sensor and seems fine.

Got her plugged in and showing no faults.
Really don't know what to do. And I pressed the inertia switch.

I'm at a real loss hopeful regards

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First Welcome to the forum....

Second I really hope someone from across the pond who knows Diesels will chime in and help. I haven't even seen a Disco diesel.

Olyller

Reaction score
Air?
Fuel?
Fuel pump (functioning &shutoff not stuck)
Timing last checked?
Timing Belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TestPoint

Reaction score
You don't provide any mileage or other info on what led up to this.

How many miles?

Was this sudden or has it been getting harder to start over time?

Any recent repairs?

As above, Diesels are pretty simple machines. Compression, fuel, timing. My Volvo Diesel died a slow death until it just didn't have enough compression to start.

Inchdagrinch

Reaction score
Hi sorry 180k. No recent work done to it, was driving and just lost power and wouldn't start. Now I have changed crank sensor fuel pump fuel filter glow plugs it starts 1 in 10 but wont rev and then cuts out.

TestPoint

Reaction score
I don't know what engine is in a Diesel Discovery but my VW Diesel powered Volvo that was extremely well maintained from new just quit at 180,183 miles. Not enough compression to go boom.

If you can verify that you are getting fuel to the injectors then next is the compression test. Diesel compression test kits are a little rare and a little expensive but you are going to probably need to have that done.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi