Automatic transmission fluid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

happyD1owner

Reaction score
I want to change the automatic transmission fluid to synthetic. Can I just drain the pan, add the 6 quarts that will need to be replaced, do this a few time and be good? Or will mixing synthetic will regular ATF be harmful ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOPE!!!
First, there is a total of 12 quarts in your tranny. If you have over 100,000 miles on it, switching to a synthetic could **** it.
How many miles on it, when was it last serviced with a new filter, what color is the fluid and does it have any burned smell about it?

happyD1owner

Reaction score
ATF fluid

Thanks for the speedy reply.
There is approx 75,000 miles on it, fluid looks like it has just been changed.
The vehicle is a 1998 discovery.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change my filter every 30 thousand or so. Every other engine oil change (every 3 thousand miles) I change out the 4 and 3/4 quarts of transmission filter. 139,000 on my ride and it shifts real smooth. The transmission fluid is very clear red and the magnetic drain plug stays clean. Might be overkill but a new trans would really ****.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: your tranny oil change

Change my filter every 30 thousand or so. Every other engine oil change (every 3 thousand miles) I change out the 4 and 3/4 quarts of transmission filter. 139,000 on my ride and it shifts real smooth. The transmission fluid is very clear red and the magnetic drain plug stays clean. Might be overkill but a new trans would really ****.

Hey Maddie;

Can you be a little more specific: i.e., do you change the filter with that and if so - is that every 3 grand or every other (i.e., making it 6 grand between tran oil changes)?

Your regimen, if somewhat paranoid, makes a lot of sense to me - who needs to buy a new ZF tranny - they do not come cheap.

Wolf

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D1 tranny needs to have the filter changed every 30,000 .
To switch to a synthetic can get a little iffy with a high mileage tranny over 100,000 miles.
If you are wanting to change over, it needs to be done using a tranny flush unit to get all the old fluid out. I would rather see people change out their tranny every 20,000 using something like Vavolines high miles Dextron, cheaper and you will get good results.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wolf: sorry for the confusion but you got it right: I change the transmission oil or at least 4 3/4 quarts every 6,000 miles and the filter every 30,000. I'd change the filter a little more often say 25,000 but it's so much fun to do that I refrain myself( just kidding). And yes I hardly want to change the zf tranny out not cheap nor fun. My problem with synthetic is getting all the old out as disco mike states. I've been using Federated which has once again refined it's transmission oil better than ever. Can't remember if it's Kendal or amalie but it seems to be good stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV