Bad vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lr4peachy

Reaction score
I have a 2010 LR4 that has a really bad vibration. The vibration is not constant, but comes very sporadically. I describe it as similar to a grocery cart with a wobbly front wheel. The vibration continues to get worse once it starts. If I pull over and stop (or at least slow way down) then start off again slowly the vibration is usually gone. I have had the front end aligned, it has new and balanced tires, and it has new calipers/pads and rotors. Anybody got any ideas I can try?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearings? Usually bad bearings / wheel hubs are accompanied by noises, though (screeching or grinding sounds.) Jack up the front end and see if there is any up/down/ side-to-side play in either front wheels.

Christianmotox

Reaction score
In adition to the wheel bearings, you might want to check tie rod ends for play.

BlueOvalConvert

Reaction score
I have the same exact problem in my 2011. Exactly the same. I first noticed it last month. For me, it only happens when I am going above ~50mph and (I believe) when making a sweeping left-hand turn or cruising over uneven highway surfaces. My car is scheduled for service on the 24th. I will let you know if they find anything.

tim e

Reaction score
2nd the tie rod ends. Just replaced mine on my 2010 LR4 and much smoother now.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there: My 2013 LR4 from day one had vibration coming in at certain speeds, mostly above 50 or so and it would get really worse as you'd go up to freeway speeds, with vibration coming in thru the steering wheel that you could feel in your forearms :)

Had the alignment done and the wheels balanced multiple times to no avail. I/dealership(s) were still trying to figure out but then by accident I ended up reading a section in the Handbook about the flat spots in the tires caused by the vehicle parked for long times with low tire inflation. It was like a light bulb went on. The handbook also said that the flat spot would go away after several hundred miles, etc.

Sure enough, the vibration started to diminish, and after a few hundred miles, it was completely gone.

The flat spot could have been caused by the car parked at the dealership lot or during shipping with very low inflation.

I have noticed that if it is really hot out and the car is parked in the sun for a day or or even several hours, and I'd start driving again, I would feel similar vibration for a few miles/time and then it would go away. And this is with the correct tire pressures :)

This truck is just one heavy beast :)

BlueOvalConvert

Reaction score
Manoftaste - I might agree with you; however, the vibration is very intermittent. Meaning, it has only happened twice in my entire ownership. It doesn't happen only when I go above 50mph. Both times that it occurred I had already been driving on the highway for more than 30 minutes. Also, why would the vibration stop (and not return) simply because I pull over, come to a complete stop and then setoff again?

I don't know. Hoping the dealership is able to figure it out.

BlueOvalConvert

Reaction score
My car has been at the dealership for two days and they can't recreate the problem and/o figure out the source of the problem. One of the managers is going to drive it home tonight and see whether he can recreate the problem on a longer drive. I will keep you updated.

BlueOvalConvert

Reaction score
Well, my car was at the shop for the entire week and they were unable to re-create or diagnose the problem. So, no information to pass along.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 20s I seem to get flat spots as well at LR recommended tire pressure.
LR Manhattan had set the pressure at 44psi and it was fine even after weeks without moving (NYC life). I then changed to 38/42 and kept getting very intrusive vibrations.
After a while I inflated the tires back to 44psi and a couple hundred miles later the vibration is gone.
Give it a shot.
For reference the summer tires on my car are Michelin Diamaris on 20s.
Just switched to winter tires on my Compos

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA