Battery Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove my 2012 LR4 to a meeting this morning (short hop, 2 miles) and then it wouldn't crank. Battery just seemed to peter out. The good-old Micro-Start XP-10 brought it right back to life (I can't recommend this thing enough).

My questions is this: Is 5 years the life of a modern battery? That's what I'm being told. I have a 16 hour road trip over the weekend, and am thinking I need to replace it prior to leaving.

I'm worried about other gremlins eating the life of the battery, but I really have not had any starter issues with this car. I did install the stock trailer wiring harness this past week. I'm thinking that's just a coincidence. My vehicle would have some "slow" starts this past winter on really cold days (but would turn over). My old LR3 ate batteries, so I know the bad signs. I'm not seeing any of those.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 is on its 3rd battery. The first was replaced by the dealer when I purchased it in 2013. The 3rd was a few months ago when I started to notice slightly less torque starting the truck, followed by a dead truck a week or two later. The 2nd battery, Interstate, last basically a few months short of 4 years.

I'd be getting a new battery before your 16 hour road trip.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just posted about my recent battery issues that resulted in a new Interstate battery from the dealer (under battery warranty). During my research while experiencing symptoms, I saw plenty of suggestions that our LR4s should get fresh juice every 4 yrs on average. Like @mpinco, my 2011 is on its 3rd battery...

I was in a similar situation with an upcoming 10-hour road trip when my symptoms first began. I stopped at the dealer on the way out of town and it tested out fine even though I had to jump it to get there. I didn't have any further issues until about a week after my return. The final diagnosis was that I had a bad cell.

I'd say you did well to get 5 yrs out of this one and that it would be prudent to get a new one before you leave. Also, thanks for the reminder about the Microstart XP-10. I need to get one of those.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tell ya, when they go, they go. I plan to replace it this afternoon. Went out for lunch and had to XP start it. After lunch, it started (on XP jump), but did a transmission fault and locked up the shifter...Shut it down, restarted it and it's all good. This vehicle needs battery juice or it gets cranky fast.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heated windshield, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, cooler box, headlights on all the time (Canada)...The electrical draw on these things are heavy. 4 years sounds about right.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly think environment takes its toll too. Out here in the middle east, I try not to push past 2 years. I know my Jeep friends seem to go through their batteries even quicker than that.

equilibrium

Reaction score
I honestly think environment takes its toll too. Out here in the middle east, I try not to push past 2 years. I know my Jeep friends seem to go through their batteries even quicker than that.

I agree with this. My 2013 is on its 3rd battery now. Here in the Middle East it would not last more than 2 yrs.
I had a Grand Cherokee and had to replace the battery every year.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I always thought that the cold was a battery killer. Didn't realize that heat was just as bad or worse

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Interstate and others make "southern" versions that do not overheat so readily. My Interstate guy did not want to sell me his top-rated Megatron Plus. Showed me a whole pallet of fried black-tops from police cruisers. Something about plate count or density causing acid to boil?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slack