Battery Warranty

Discussion in 'LR4' started by ZR1Gerhardt, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ZR1Gerhardt

ZR1Gerhardt Member

i have a 2012 HSE Lux. Recently it has started to turn over very slowly and I am noticing little electrical gremlins (date and time switch to military time, changes in my display for warnings).

Noting that these cars seem to eat batteries every two years, I popped upon the hood to take a look. I have a factory Jaguar battery with a manufacturing date of 2014, and a green sticker of 11/14. So the battery is less than three years old, so the original battery was replaced about two years or so after the car was sold.

Question is - what is Land Rovers warranty on these things? Just want to know if I get a free battery before I decide if I want to go out and buy a premium aftermarket battery with a 4/5 year replacement warranty.

Thanks for any help. Obviously the LR dealer shop is closed on a sat night!

Scott

2. umbertob

umbertob Full Access Member

The battery is covered by the same manufacturer's warranty as the rest of the car, 4 years or 50K miles whichever occurs first. It doesn't matter how many times it was replaced under warranty, once the factory coverage is up you are on your own.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. ZR1Gerhardt

ZR1Gerhardt Member

Thanks Umbertob.

That answer makes sense.

I will get the battery checked on Monday, if it is the battery replace it with the best aftermarket battery I can find locally.

Scott

4. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

My car has 3.5 years and 23k miles with a pretty high number of starts given its mileage. The battery is still ok (knock on wood).

Out of curiosity, is it a simple swap of the battery or does a new battery require some kind of BS dealer programming? I have the IID Tool, for what it's worth, in case that is all that is needed.

5. Surfrider77

Surfrider77 Full Access Member

I had no idea anything was wrong with mine. Truck seemed normal. It went in for a routine service around the 2 yr mark and when I was reviewing the paperwork on the services when I picked it back up, they said they replaced the battery. Didn't pass some test they perform. So, you might not have obvious indications anything is amiss and it could be on its way out.

6. ZR1Gerhardt

ZR1Gerhardt Member

I believe the IID tool can reset it. I am going to look that up later tonight.

7. mbw

mbw Full Access Member

Yes, it can do a BMS reset, battery management system.