Bike Racks!!! Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a rack for a single bike, I go mountain biking as much as 3 to 4 times a week, so it would be a pain for me to have to install/remove a bike rack every time. My main requirement was a bike rack I could keep on the back most of the time without getting in my way.

I have the 1-Up single-bike rack and love it. Secures my bike great, and when it's not in use, it folds up and allows for full use of both the upper and lower tailgates.

I'm at work now, but here's a shot I grabbed off my phone of my dog giving my bike a good post-ride sniff:

IMG_4024 (1).JPG

It's always just me riding, so all I ever need is the single bike rack. But 1-up makes add-ons that you could extend the single-bike rack to be a multiple bike rack. Not sure how well the tailgate would work with a rack for more than one bike, though.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a rack for a single bike, I go mountain biking as much as 3 to 4 times a week, so it would be a pain for me to have to install/remove a bike rack every time. My main requirement was a bike rack I could keep on the back most of the time without getting in my way.

I have the 1-Up single-bike rack and love it. Secures my bike great, and when it's not in use, it folds up and allows for full use of both the upper and lower tailgates.

I'm at work now, but here's a shot I grabbed off my phone of my dog giving my bike a good post-ride sniff:

View attachment 8030

It's always just me riding, so all I ever need is the single bike rack. But 1-up makes add-ons that you could extend the single-bike rack to be a multiple bike rack. Not sure how well the tailgate would work with a rack for more than one bike, though.
Damn, now you got me thinking. I didn't realize the single was compact enough to leave on the vehicle and have all the normal rear access without having to lower it each time. Really? Hmmmm...

I'm on their site now with a 3 bike rack in my cart, but it's pricey. And 95% of the time it'd just be my single bike on there, which I ride 2-3 times a week.

Maybe I'm better getting the 1UP single for me, and a cheaper 3-4 bike rack for the rare occasions when the whole family goes on an outting. ?

(My 3 rack black setup now, is just under $900 in their cart. Anyone have a 3-4 bike solution they like for half that? Then I'll get two racks instead of this one monster).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, now you got me thinking. I didn't realize the single was compact enough to leave on the vehicle and have all the normal rear access without having to lower it each time. Really? Hmmmm...

I'm on their site now with a 3 bike rack in my cart, but it's pricey. And 95% of the time it'd just be my single bike on there, which I ride 2-3 times a week.

Maybe I'm better getting the 1UP single for me, and a cheaper 3-4 bike rack for the rare occasions when the whole family goes on an outting. ?

(My 3 rack black setup now, is just under $900 in their cart. Anyone have a 3-4 bike solution they like for half that? Then I'll get two racks instead of this one monster).

Yeah, when folded up, you can treat it almost like it's not even there (except having to turn off the proximity sensors when you back up). I'm coincidentally running to my bike shop at lunch (completely blew out a tubeless tire last night) so I'll snap a picture of it folded then.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when folded up, you can treat it almost like it's not even there (except having to turn off the proximity sensors when you back up). I'm coincidentally running to my bike shop at lunch (completely blew out a tubeless tire last night) so I'll snap a picture of it folded then.
Thanks.

Yeah, I usually keep my hitch back there (with ball) so I'm used to my proximity sensor beeping EVERY time I put it in reverse. I ended up hitting one of those low parking lot poles one time because I'd gotten so used to ignoring it. That mistake cost me a tail-light... :(

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1UP is really nice, and as I compare their 2-bike rack to my 2-bike Thule, it's about 20% lighter in weight. I love the Thule and it is super quick to load and unload, but it's heavy. Plugging it into the LR4 is a good warmup exercise every time I go out for a ride!

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sent a PM, but figure I'd also post here in case anyone else chimes in;

Questions,

(1) how easy is it to take off the 3rd bike mount to just keep it as a two-up?

(2) Also, do you have clearance issues due to the LR4s low hitch. For instance, when you pull into or out of driveways does the bike rack grind on pavement?

(3) Can you fold it down so you can lower the tailgate? (with bikes ON and OFF?)

Thanks!

1) Very easy; two bolts. I think I remember seeing in the documentation that you add up to three "add-on" units to a double for a total of five bikes (but that would be SUPER-long).

2) Hardware does not extend below LR hitch and it angles upwards. Check out the third photo in Preetsarai's post above and you may be able to see what I mean.

3) Pretty sure this has been addressed by now, but yes. Can also lower when loaded with bikes.

Preetsarai

Reaction score
Unless you’re planning to ride solo all the time, I would not recommend the single bike rack. I believe the single rack is not designed for add-ons. So you will be stuck with a single rack.

You will need the 2 bike rack to add-on an additional 1 bike or 2 bike rack. If you’re going for the 2+2 system, get their reinforced rack which offered additional strength.

Even with the two bike rack system, you can access the top tail gate and use the backup camera (without the sensors).

It’s fairly simple to add or remove the additional rack. There are two bolts as shown in the pic below. The one on the left requires a special 1-up L Key which comes with the rack. The right bolt is secured by a hitch lock (partially visible in the pic). If you order multiple locks from 1-up, they can make a single key for all locks so you are not fumbling with multiple keys.
7C0F69B2-51D9-4BF6-87FE-C789A8E0AF5A.jpeg

I’m in Jersey City if you want to come and see the rack in person.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Preetsarai thank you very much for the detailed pics of the rack and vehicle mount.

I'm lazy, so I'll probably try the 1 bike rack and see if I'm okay just leaving it on my car most of the time. I did call and confirm (it's also in the web item descriptions) that you can extend the single to up to three bikes. I think you can go up to 5 if you buy the double and add on a bunch of single extensions.

My bumper suffered a minor hit and run in the bike park lot this week. Somebody scrapped the paint off my bumper and left some of their red paint behind. A-hole. I think having a bike rack back there will also help with this. :) Keeping my ball hitch on the back has certainly cut down on people rear ending into me when they are parallel parking!

The locks... okay, good reminder. I have to figure that out. No point leaving an expensive bike on your truck if someone can just pull out a pin and take the entire rack.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72