Broken power window mechanism

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

ecsw

TD5 GS Automatic 1999 (fewer miles than usual due to replacement engine - another story)

The great Green tractor is sitting in the dark with the drivers window glass fully open after a monstrous grinding noise when it was opened.

This suggests that the glass hit the bottom of the travel and leapt off the mechanism.

I have burrowed through the polythene and I can see a large and slightly distorted cogged wheel from above.

Any ideas on how to get the thing back together?

T

tirewall

Broken Power Window

I had the window in my '97 D1 stop working recently. I pulled the door panel and found the toothed piece of the window assembly had falllen into the bottom of the door. By removing all the bolts from the inside of the door, and disconnecting the window from the bracket that holds it, I found it very easy to remove the entire window regulator and mechanism. Once you get the mechanism out of the door, you should be able to see where the problem lies. Its amazingly simple. I tried to repair it with pop rivets (they soon broke) then nuts and bolts (they broke too). Finally had it welded back together and it has been fine since.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to me on my passenger side. You have to replace the window regulator. Not too expensive at Speedy Car Parts.Com. About $135.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV