Burning smell coming thru heat vent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lruny

Reaction score
Anyone have access to TSB's? From an internet search it appears their is a technical service bulletin on dragging brakes. The details of LR's response not shown. If someone has a subscription to Topix they could look it up.

Last edited:

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question... How often do you guys, who live in snow and slush, rinse off your wheels or even the undercarriage for that matter? I live down south so I only have to deal with occasional sand and mud when off-roading. I understand it's cold outside and you might not want to be hosing down a car in 20 degree temps, but maybe heading to a car wash that has undercarriage water jets once a week might help?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a stupid question; after all we're talking about Land Rovers here! We'll never hear the end of LR idiosyncrasies like this. I've owned over a dozen different cars and it was only after I contracted the Land Rover affliction that I ever gave a second thought to things like:

• brakes getting gunked up by regular driving in winter conditions
  • timing chains and tensioners
  • motor oil obsessions
  • hood latch sensors
  • brake switches
  • lower control arms
  • water pumps
  • truly awful nav
  • spare tires and jacks
I could go on-- we all could! Just a humorous (to me) observation... but I still love my LR4.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this brakes getting gunked up is only an LR thing and doesn't happen to all cars that follow snow plows and push through inches and inches of slush?

-Spare tire is currently sitting in garage, winch thingy broke winding it up unloaded
-Water pump changed under warranty at 50K miles
-Lower control arms changed at 80K
-never use the nav
;)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this brakes getting gunked up is only an LR thing and doesn't happen to all cars that follow snow plows and push through inches and inches of slush?

I mean on paper and now that it has been mentioned, you would think that it would not be a model-specific issue. My observation was just that I had never given things like this much thought until about 11 yrs ago when I got my first LR vehicle. My punchlist is similar to yours @jpjp, except that I do have a full-size spare. Granted, it's a different make of tire and is on a different LR 19" rim than my other four tires but that's on my to-do list!

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have the full size spare, 20" because I have the Heavy Duty package. I made the mistake of "not knowing" that if you winch back up without any weight "the spare" the metal cord gets tangled up in the spool and is unusable. I popped a tire on a trail 300+ miles from home at a Florida Land Rover Club Rally and figured that I was going to have to buy a new tire anyway the next day. I just threw the wheel in the back so that I didn't have to winch it twice to get a new tire installed on the rim. Talk about a design flaw.

bucwolfser

Reaction score
Does anyone notice car exhaust smell from ac when sitting idle? My mom's jaguar did the same thing so we kept it on recirculating the indoor air.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone notice car exhaust smell from ac when sitting idle? My mom's jaguar did the same thing so we kept it on recirculating the indoor air.

Never experienced that but I would urge you to test things by keeping a carbon monoxide detector in the vehicle for a few days or week to see if it goes off. Even with recirc engaged, CO is odorless as you probably know. It could be coming in through some other path.

bucwolfser

Reaction score
Never experienced that but I would urge you to test things by keeping a carbon monoxide detector in the vehicle for a few days or week to see if it goes off. Even with recirc engaged, CO is odorless as you probably know. It could be coming in through some other path.
That's a great idea! I'm taking it in tomorrow for a thorough inspection. I'll make that a top priority.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question... How often do you guys, who live in snow and slush, rinse off your wheels or even the undercarriage for that matter? I live down south so I only have to deal with occasional sand and mud when off-roading. I understand it's cold outside and you might not want to be hosing down a car in 20 degree temps, but maybe heading to a car wash that has undercarriage water jets once a week might help?

20 degrees? Try below zero. All our outdoor spigots are turned off and drained and hoses empty. Water wouldn’t get from the spigot to the nozzle in this weather.

Do any of you guys wash your brakes regularly?

On another happier note I drove from VT to NYC today, leaving my home early this A.M. after we got 14 inches of snow overnight and before the plows came through!

Wife nervous. LR loved it. Me, happier than the proverbial pig in ****.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut