Buying help needed!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I’ve had a black non-HD for a bit over a year. I don’t do serious off road but a lot of class-4 roads and logging roads. Had some very heavy snows in Vermont this winter. I’ve never had a problem.

I’m sort of sorry I didn’t get it with HD, not so much for function but just because it’s kinda “boss”

If I were buying a used LR4, condition would be more important than HD, but that’s just my opinion that I’m sharing.

Keep us posted on what you do.

Frank

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The car came from WI so I am concerned about the winters there and salt. It does a ton of damage on cars. They are as low as they will go at $32,500 and was pulling teeth to get there so no extended warranty. HD in my mind is really only great if you go offroad which I dont really do. Maybe I should reconsider that philosophy as everyone is saying HD is critical. ...
You are correct, it is not critical for most drivers. I coudln't find one in a color I wanted with HD, so I opted out. Really didn't have a choice as there just are not that many out there.

My point on an extended warranty is to put that into your budget, not get them to pay for it. So, add on $2,500 (or whatever) to what you are paying for the car to get yourself a 100K warranty. If the dealer sells them, you may be able to negotiate a package price taking into account the car your buying, the one you are potentially trading in, and a warranty.

And if you end up not liking either car for whatever reason, don't sweat it. Another will pop up. Always does. Be great if you could get a mechanic to look over that 2013 for you.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go without the HD package you can always opt for front and rear air lockers that are manufactured by ARB and sold/installed by Lucky8LLC

ElChuco

Reaction score
Both sound cherry, and it looks like you've done your homework. Me, I would pick the one my wife prefers.

That said, if possible, definitely have a mechanic do a thorough check, including pressure test the radiator. And do purchase extended warranty. Mine was from Assurant, I think. Last December (2016), I bought a 2011 LR4 HSE LUX from a dealer in ABQ. I've been loving it. I've put some money into this and that, and they are not cheap to maintain. But I predict you will be very happy behind the wheel of either one.

brjp1

Reaction score
So I went with the 2013 with HD and LUX. Pretty much loaded along with about $2500 of accessories. Side steps, front/rear light guards, wrapped wheel arches, hood, mirrors, and ladder.
Definitely getting a warranty with Route 66 through my credit union.

de288c2c3cddf712b5e878e52641c7ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! You'll have a lot of fun with that.
Would love to see some pics out of the dealer studio to get a sense of how that looks.

I was thinking of getting my arches wrapped also, as they are the most prone to scratches. I was going to just to them in clear or a matte finish. It was pricey so I shied away at the time because I was buying a lot of other stuff. Might give it another look, though.

brjp1

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! You'll have a lot of fun with that.
Would love to see some pics out of the dealer studio to get a sense of how that looks.

I was thinking of getting my arches wrapped also, as they are the most prone to scratches. I was going to just to them in clear or a matte finish. It was pricey so I shied away at the time because I was buying a lot of other stuff. Might give it another look, though.

Honestly you could buy the wrap yourself and DIY. Not hard at all and no way to mess up the vinyl. Wheel arches come off easily. Just need a heat gun or hair dryer.. I'll get you some pics tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new whip. Looks like something a Bond villain would drive, or something Kato would choose if he and the Green Hornet ever needed something with better offroad chops than Black Beauty. Nice; enjoy!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful truck!! I would have chosen the same.

Being truthful, I am not a fan of the silver arch / mirror wrap. I'd keep it completely blacked out.

Jomcool

Reaction score
Nice! Did you mention the 2013 also had the 20" black package as well? Apologies if I missed that. That is a very nice ride and a good deal in my opinion. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV