Buying my very first Land Rover! Help appreciated :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khan0209

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy my very first Land Rover, so basically I'm a complete noob and would like some feedback.

First some background:
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and my daily drivers are a company car provided to me and a bmw 328i. I have a not so small now 5 month old golden retriever that is still rapidly growing and I've decided neither of my cars are ideal for taking my dog around, so I made the logical decision to get a used Land Rover.

I'm planning to use the car pretty much only when I need to drive my dog around or go on long distance road trips/camping trips. Essentially I would only drive it sometimes on the weekends and holidays. I would venture a guess and say the Land Rover will see around 5000 miles a year, possibly even less. I also set a budget for myself of $10,000 (including tax)

Based on my budget, the following are the models I'm considering:
2005-2008 LR3
2006 and up Range Rover Sport or HSE
2008 and up LR2

There are a lot of these vehicles around me, and they range from 90k miles (right around the $10k price point), to nearly 200k miles (around $5k). I know I can get older models years of the Range Rover, but based on what I read from forums, the 2006 year and up has better reliability (feel free to tell me otherwise!)

From what I've researched, I'm aware and expecting that these vehicles will have their fair share of maintenance quirks that could get pricey. Which is something I'm okay with because this won't be a primary vehicle so I won't be left stranded, and based on how little I plan to drive it, I'm hoping the maintenance frequency will be significantly less than an average owner. One question I have is based on how much I plan to drive it, what would you estimate my yearly maintenance cost to be? I would prefer an overestimation to prepare me for the worst.

Also I'm wondering are there certain mileage points that are better to buy the car at? For example would a vehicle with a bit over 110k miles be better than one at 90k miles since it's more likely some major components that are likely to fail at 100k miles will have already been replaced?

Given my yearly driving estimate, is there a need to buy the lowest mileage vehicle or would I be okay finding a vehicle with over 150k miles that is significantly cheaper? Let's just say I only plan on keeping the vehicle for 5 years, so I would probably at most add 25k miles, or lets say 30k miles worst case scenario. Based on this, is it more logical for me to find a higher mileage car for a lot less money?

Basically I'm completely willing to spend the money it takes to purchase and maintain a land rover for the next 5 years, but I would like advice on which model year/mileage I can get away spending the least money possible while still enjoying the Land Rover experience

I plan on taking all vehicles I'm considering in for PPI's and checking carfax's too.

Anyways, any advice would be helpful! Thanks! Look forward to getting into one of these vehicles!

khan0209

Reaction score
Also, all the engine trims for the vehicles I listed are pretty much the same price. If given a choice between the V6 and V8 in the LR3 or the V8 naturally aspirated or supercharged in the range rover, is there one I should lean more towards? I don't care about gas mileage or speed, only about the reliability. I couldn't find anything too definitive regarding this topic, thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Buy the best model with all maintenance records that you can find and like. As far as 6 versus 8, the 8 is the better option in my opinion, but avoid the 8 supercharged as some of them are having serious engine issues.

khan0209

Reaction score
Thank you Joey.

So regardless how little or how much I plan to drive it, I should always buy the best model with all service records?

Let's say there's a way higher mileage vehicle that is a couple thousand cheaper, and it has all the service records, which also indicates the air compressors, brake pads, and fluids have been changed...versus a significantly lower mileage one that also has all the service records, but the air compressor hasn't been changed yet. Can I assume I would have to dole out a significant chunk of money to replace the air suspensions for the lower mileage one in the near future? Thank you.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that is correct. Sadly the airbags and compressor (if airbags are not changed as soon as they go bad) will need changed at some point. Might as well let someone else pay for the parts and labor.

khan0209

Reaction score
Also since I'm only seeing myself adding 30k miles MAX over the next 5 years, should I be scared of a super high mileage vehicle (let's say 150k, or even near 200k)? Obviously providing that I do my due diligence in making sure service records are all there.

Thanks so much Joey!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't see an issue with a higher mileage rover, as long as it has been taken well care of. The issue with most rovers is the 1st owner has everything done at the dealer, the second owner normally does't do anything but drive it... third owner gets stuck with all the repairs. If the 1st owner leased it, then he/she may not have done anything at all to it. Other than what was required.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't see an issue with a higher mileage rover, as long as it has been taken well care of. The issue with most rovers is the 1st owner has everything done at the dealer, the second owner normally does't do anything but drive it... third owner gets stuck with all the repairs. If the 1st owner leased it, then he/she may not have done anything at all to it. Other than what was required.

Sort of but I look at it more as being mileage based, not owner based. It really depends too much on the type of owner regardless of new / used. You know some people are very neglectful especially if leasing with no intention of having it into any sort of reliability phase.

For example, I'm the only owner and have moved from 100% 4/50 warranty coverage, through 8/100 ext coverage, now into DIY for basic stuff like control arms, struts, brakes and dealer oil changes/alignment, etc.

Mine has 132,000 miles but it is FAR better now than almost any lr3 for sale seeing as it now has new brakes, struts, ALL new suspension parts (8 control arms, sway bar bushings, end links, toe links, Bilstein 4600 series struts, EBC rotors to fit 17" wheels, full Magnaflow system custom routed and modified to not hang low like they designed it, etc, etc) Under warranty it got new differentials, front half shafts, all 4 hubs, drive shaft, trans seal, misc other.

The next 130k lr3 in line on a sale page may have zero of these things done and most people cannot tell how the suspension parts are wearing without putting it on a lift and doing some investigation.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be able to find a very well kept D2 as well...just a thought. I seen an impeccable one complete with service records, 1 owner, and 70k miles selling for 10k. It looked showroom ready. Guy used it as a weekend driver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV